It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: konosuke ginsanko/silver 3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:10 am 

does anybody have experience with these gyutos yet? is the steel comparable to aeb-l/sweddish stainless? i havent been able to find much info on these knives yet, are they the same size a konosuke fujiyamas?

Post subject: Re: konosuke ginsanko/silver 3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 pm 

I don't have experience with the Konosuki, but I do know that the steel is quite different from AEB-L. G-3 steel is a much harder steel that will hold a longer edge, but can also be more prone to chipping, depending on how the steel is heat treated, how the knife is sharpened, and how the knife is used. G-3 is harder to sharpen, but the edge will last longer. Also, G-3 is better at resisting stains than AEB-L. Given the outstanding fit and finish of Konosuke knives, at the price, the Konosuke G-3 gyutos would seem to be a bargain. I don't think you could go wrong in acquiring one.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:21 am 

is it any harder to sharpen than 19c27?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:25 am 

It is harder to sharpen than 19c27. G-3 is hardened to HRC 65 to 69. Thus, the better edge retention as well. I find that the Shapton Glass stones work well with these harder steels.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:29 pm 

I can't find any info on G-3 being 65-69. I'm sure my Tad isn't anywhere close to that. Could that be a typo? I love the geometry of my Tad, but the AEB-L wins hands down as far as sharp.................

Just my $.02.................

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:53 pm 

Mine is HRC 65, although I guess many kitchen knives are now, in fact, more like HRC 62, which is still pretty hard. As I understand it, there has been too much chipping at higher hardness with G-3. Did I mention that I do love G-3? I have a knife with san mai construction with G-3 core. It's an exciting time with the new stainless steels that are becoming available.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:35 pm 

yeah well at $329 its priced to compete with other hitachi steels and aeb-l. i think mark has it listed with a hrc 62.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:45 pm 

If you want the best stainless steel available for less money in a high qaulity gyuto, you might consider waiting a week or so for the Richmond Ultimatum in M390 steel. I have two knives in M390 that I have used heavily for over a year, and M390 is the best thing since unsliced bread. Far better than G-3.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:12 pm 

well i already have a ks, not sure i want a second knife with a similiar profile. thanks though.
ill probably just check out one of those konosuke fujiyama blue steels. thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:43 am 

Make sure you let us know how you like the Konksuke Blue Steel. I'm really curious.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next