It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Seems like a "Gotcha"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:19 am 
Forum Moderator

Consider these handy 'stocking stuffers' if you're a bit short of $60.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/20xloupe.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/chsh.html
or if you are an EP guy:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html

All good products too.

Of course read the fine print :) Another good use for a magnifier LOL.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:20 am 

I noticed the same issue when I ordered the green brick on the forum special. It appeared that there was no shipping, but now I realize it was missing because I hadn't hit the "Apply" button. That was a great deal, and I thought $4.95 was certainly fair for shipping, so no big deal. I don't think the process overall was exactly intuitive. TBH, this was my first order for less than $60, so it was never an issue before.

Making it more automatic, or more obvious for the customer to see the shipping charge would be an improvement. Or maybe highlight the free shipping on orders over $60 there (I know it's the first sentence, but it could be bigger, bold, etc.) Change "Apply" to "Calculate Shipping" might make it more clear.

I never saw this as a gothcha, but more a website design issue. Hopefully this is a relatively easy change.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

The problem with using a default shipping price is all the international customers would be convinced that $4.95 would be the price they paid. As far as I know there is no "real time" automatic update that will basically hit the apply button for you once you give the cart enough information to calculate the charge.

Shopping carts and shipping issues are the biggest challenge in terms of making everyone happy.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 pm 

I guess I've never noticed an issue with the orders that I've placed. I almost always "Apply" the shipping charge on every site I buy from just to see what my options are. Maybe add a page that is the shipping options where someone has to select the shipping option they want and then hit "Apply" which takes them to the final "Review & Place Order" screen?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:39 pm 

I live in the states.
I pay shipping for a lot of things
I don't mind it

CKTG shipping is FAR cheaper than some other places that I've ordered from (2 paperback books, 9.50) WTF!! PAPERBACK!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:35 pm 

DieselHardware wrote: Maybe add a page that is the shipping options where someone has to select the shipping option they want and then hit "Apply" which takes them to the final "Review & Place Order" screen?

I think this would solve it. One thing I saw, which was the same thing the OP had an issue with, was that it can appear that shipping is 0. It's possible that a customer wouldn't see the actual shipping charge as part of the total until after the order is placed and the credit card is charged. So, I can see a legitimate complaint there, in that he was surprised by the shipping charge. Not to mention that he could have thrown in a $0.25 packet of BKF, and would have been able to get free shipping.

In no way do I see this as a "gotcha." The shipping charge is totally reasonable, and I certainly expect to pay shipping when I order something online.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:55 pm 

People love free shipping. See Why Free Shipping Is Almost Universal — And Why You Should Be Wary of It Here is a small quote

... free shipping named as the top overall tactic for generating online sales. (Promotions sent out via email came in second place.) Overall, 70% of the executives surveyed who work for top retailers said that free shipping would be the most important factor in driving online sales over the holidays.

Of course, we pay for shipping. The only question is shipping included in the item cost or separately billed.

Free shipping's problem is including the administrative shipping cost in every item's price inflates the prices of lower cost products.

Free shipping for order over $60 strikes me as a reasonable compromise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:31 pm 

"People love free shipping. See Why Free Shipping Is Almost Universal — And Why You Should Be Wary of It"

I do look for free shipping for two reasons.

1) Many products are price controlled, so the price is not set by the retailer and the margin is fixed, so if a retailer will use the excess space in the margin to extend additional services to the consumer, it is a way to deliver additional value. I worked in a small shop where we had a lot of price controlled product so we could not compete based on price, so we had to improvise. Low cost/free upgrades, repairs, services, discount/free additional product. I don't expect free shipping, but using set margins to expand customer service is one way customer oriented businesses set themselves apart.

2) Many retailers uses fixed or inflated shipping costs to ease the purchase process (if you are being charitable) or inflate their margins (if you are a cynic). I think of it as the ebay trick, sell a product for $1 then charge $25 for shipping and handling. I do feel like that is BS.

That said, I agree in principle. A perfectly functioning market would have transparency about what costs accrete to the final price and consumers would be able to determine who they want to benefit from each dollar spent. On the other hand, I think perfect markets live with Sasquatch and the Easter Bunny :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:38 am 

I didn't notice the "apply" button my first few orders either. I probably never would have if I hadn't been looking for it when trying to see how much a 2-day air would run me. I bet if you move the button up right beside the shipping drop box, or add a second "Apply Shipping" button right below the "Your Order" box then it would stand out more to first time customers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:52 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:
2) Many retailers uses fixed or inflated shipping costs to ease the purchase process (if you are being charitable) or inflate their margins (if you are a cynic). I think of it as the ebay trick, sell a product for $1 then charge $25 for shipping and handling. I do feel like that is BS.

This
I look at ebay a lot
especially for cookware but if you have 25 dollar shipping on a pan... single pan...
I don't put a bid in because you're gouging.

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3