It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: culinary school anyone?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:14 pm 

culinary arts graduate here also.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:30 am 

where did you go to school?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:34 pm 

On CMC: Yes this a very great accomplishment to achieve. Months of training and preparation; hours and days of actual competition. From what i gather, many competitors drop out before completion...kinda like a Navy SEAL training camp of the culinary world. I respect anyone who can get through this and receive the title... That being said, I don't think this will change anyones career very much.
Not every aspect of the competition can directly relate to restaurant cooking..Its perfect execution based on extremely vast knowledge and skill with food, while being in a restaurant is more about repetition of excellence. My executive chef's brother is a CMC, while she is not..She gets paid significantly more than her brother with the lofty title...all just depends on where you work!!

On Culinary school: I don't know if this is the same throughout the states but in Los Angeles (where I am from) and Boston (where I live/work now), all of the schools have become factories looking to "turn and burn" their students and take their money. I almost went to school when back home but the rising popularity (due to food network, topchef, etc.) has caused prices to skyrocket. I mean $23,000 for 7 months...Thats more expensive than USC. On top of that, while there are many basics and foundations that can be learned in school, there is so much more that can be learned by just starting from the bottom in a decent kitchen and working your way through the various stations. I have been cooking for about 3 and a half to 4 years and in that time, i have noticed that the culinary grads and externs tend to be the worst employees. Underprepared, unable to translate their education in to performance when service gets full swing, and generally misinformed about the job and lifestyle of a line cook (sorry, even you grads have to be cooks before you become a chef). That's not to say that some great cooks come from school, i just think that what was once a source of talented individuals has become a grab bag of honest aspiring chefs with the stuff, and wannabes who think it looks cool to wear the whites and get culinary tattoos (the secret is prep shirts or "dish dogs" as well call them...they show off the tattoos better ha!)

Anyway enough rambling, and if youre a current student and enjoying it, then by all means please keep on keepin on...to each his own!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:56 pm 

On Culinary school: I don't know if this is the same throughout the states but in Los Angeles (where I am from) and Boston (where I live/work now), all of the schools have become factories looking to "turn and burn" their students and take their money. I almost went to school when back home but the rising popularity (due to food network, topchef, etc.) has caused prices to skyrocket. I mean $23,000 for 7 months...Thats more expensive than USC. On top of that, while there are many basics and foundations that can be learned in school, there is so much more that can be learned by just starting from the bottom in a decent kitchen and working your way through the various stations. I have been cooking for about 3 and a half to 4 years and in that time, i have noticed that the culinary grads and externs tend to be the worst employees. Underprepared, unable to translate their education in to performance when service gets full swing, and generally misinformed about the job and lifestyle of a line cook (sorry, even you grads have to be cooks before you become a chef). That's not to say that some great cooks come from school, i just think that what was once a source of talented individuals has become a grab bag of honest aspiring chefs with the stuff, and wannabes who think it looks cool to wear the whites and get culinary tattoos (the secret is prep shirts or "dish dogs" as well call them...they show off the tattoos better ha!)

Been in the biz 20 years now. Couldn't have said it better myself. Absolutely true. I am in culinary school now though, and there have been some Aha! moments. You become a better cook/chef when you understand why things work the way they do. If you understand the mechanics of it, you can often apply that to many other things. If you have a decent school in your area and you've never been, I would recommend it. I was always a pretty decent line cook, but my ability and my confidence have skyrocketed since going through some of my classes. Don't pay those outrageous tuitions though. Do your due diligence. For instance, the school I go to is roughly $6,000 a year and the government helps me pay for a lot of that. But like you said, a school does not a chef make. You have to put in the time and work your way up. (I laugh at these "chefs" on TV that can't do something as simple as cook a fish filet.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:55 pm 

Oh yes there is definitely no doubt that some of the information that one can learn from school will increase knowledge and abilities. I am a lead line cook at the moment and know the ins and outs of just about every recipe in our restaurant, however there are times when chef wants a special and tells me to make "such and such" and i have to say "excuse me..in regular talk" ha.

Also, youre very right about local culinary programs, my younger brother is in a hospitality program at his community college in San Francisco and thats not breaking his bank at all

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:22 am 

my home country, Philippines.
Global Academy

http://globalacademyph.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:37 am 

how was the program there?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:24 am 

nothing as comprehensive as overseas, of course. I only had a short course which lasted only 4 months of actual culinary school and another 2 months in on the job training (but I actually did 4 months).

let's just say, i learned a lot but still i find myself lacking. pretty much 2 years of culinary school crammed into a 4 month program. good thing i still have my college degree. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:25 pm 

You should be fine with four months of basics. Every chef you might work for is going to have a different way of doing things anyway. I'm not trying to say forget everything you have learned; but if working in a professional kitchen is something you are interested in, then I suggest getting used to the phrase "I have made something similar before, but how would YOU like it done, Chef?" That phrase pretty much helped my BS my way in through my first few jobs..then after a while, the phrase became more truth as i learned more and more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:36 pm 

my course was similar but it was a 12 month program which consisted of three semesters. it did feel as if it was crammed

Page 4 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next