It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: minosharp vs super togeru sharpening guide
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:58 pm 

just wondering if anybody used these sharpening guides before. I'm really new to sharpening and it's hard for me to keep that constant angle right now so I was just wondering which guide would you guys suggest.

Post subject: Re: minosharp vs super togeru sharpening guide
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Neither. I would suggest you either go freehand or jump up to a device that can give you ADJUSTABLE fixed angles - Edge Pro or Wicked Edge for instance. These types of guides cause more problems that they provide solutions, especially as one approaches the tips where they have trouble providing a constant angle even though it is just providing a single angle setting. Consider these as a very minimal solution.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:58 am 

been free handing on one of my crappy knives and it's still kinda hard to not wobble, thinking about buying the edge pro but it's pretty pricey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:05 pm 

I have the super togeru. It's just meh. I bought it a while ago just to assure myself that I was (in fact) doing a good job of free-hand sharpening. I say don't bother. Just practice as much as possible. You will find find a correct sharpening technique and comfortable approach. You will probably screw up a knife or stone or two in your learning process, but (IMHO) that first-hand learning is the best education.
Look online for some other sharpening videos too. Mark's tutorials are great, but I've also learned a great deal from all the other vids as well. My technique incorporates a little I've learned from all over the interweb!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:27 pm 

ewrd, I suggest freehand over the edge pro. The main reason is self-satisfaction of the "freehand" aspect of sharpening. It will take some practice, as I still consider myself a novice sharpener, but you will find a rhythm. Take your time, speed does not matter. There are a lot of good threads and videos on the forum about sharpening freehand and even more on CKTG website.

I have an edge pro and some freehand stones, the edge pro doesn't get used anymore. 8-)

BTW found this funny your username is my first name scrambled!

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:56 pm 

I am also new to sharpening but I started freehand. I have never used Edgepro or Wicked Edge because, like hos said, you get some satisfaction of knowing that you put the edge on yourself. Take your time and be patient. Mark's videos really helped me but I looked all over and have adapted my own technique. Take some time and just practice, you will get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:06 am 

Just take your time. If you need to, use only edge-trailing strokes.

I assure you, it won't take THAT long to get it down, and the results will be decent in the meantime.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

EWRD <> In reply, I have never used a guide, but watch this for some important tips regarding them...

Rhetorically, I'm a KISS kinda guy. For a beginner, one combo-stone and a commitment is all it takes to sharpen a knife. As Eamon points out, it won't take long. It's not rocket science...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:51 am 

thanks everybody for the advice. I'm going to just keep practice sharpening, been hitting the edges of the stone and still kind of wobbling. I think I need a taller table to sharpen on. and another reason why I didn't purchase the edge pro is because I like the satisfaction of being able to free hand.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Do you mean you are falling off the stone or hitting the sides of the stones (wobbling from side to side)?

If you are wobbling on the long sides of the stone I would recommend you round off the edges with your flattener. I usually do this on my stones while I'm flattening.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]