It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barkeeper's Friend making things much worse?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:05 am 

FWIW, based on the recommendation to use cork and baking soda I gave it a try this evening. I had not read Dan and pj's instructions but I more or less did as they said:

I folded a towel so that I could set the blade against it.
Sprinkled the blade with soda, about like a dusting of confectioners sugar.
Dipped my fingers in a bowl of water and dripped 3-5 drops of water.
Then used a synthetic cork to "polish". I used circular and linear strokes. Unfortunately the knives I was working on did not have a high polish, but this process did not mar the knives as far as I could tell
Finally I washed and dried thoroughly. If I were being cautious, I would have oiled as well.

These knives both had a light patina and the patina was generally well removed. I was pretty impressed with the outcome. Thanks for the idea all!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:43 am 

Bark Keepers friend is great for removing patina...basically you stripped the patina and got normal reactivity from the steel. Oxalic acid is in bar keepers friend. You can actually get the same effect from using wood bleach from the hardware store...

Oxalic acid is Oxalic acid...Just get some potatoes and and mustard and re-patina the blade. If you want to keep a patina free blade continue using bar keepers but the metal will be more reactive.

If the edge is surface rust just strop it a few times on the stone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 pm 

As a former shipbuilder, I can tell you that clean abraded steel will "bloom" rust almost immediately just from the moisture in the air. Thats why you need to rinse, dry immediately/throughly then coat with mineral oil or other food-safe preservative to prevent moisture from getting to the steel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:53 pm 

You guys ruined my knife! It spontaneously combusted and is now a pile of rust and ash! How could you!

No seriously thanks, it worked the rust out like a boss.

Well the sort of weird part is all along the edge in incandescent light at certain angles it still looks like some really light rust is present, but then I go out in my backyard in natural light and only a super light blueish, grey-pink patina is there. Before the cork and baking soda it was legit orange and red rust even in natural light though.

I'm contemplating going over it with the blue scrubby, but I think I'm just being OCD'ed and so ultimately am going to leave it alone.

And once again, my color blindness with shades makes me wonder if I'm just seeing this all messed up to begin with. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:15 pm 

I'm glad it worked out for you. I use the green ScotchBrite on probably too many things and it leaves a pretty OK working finish on knives, improving as it wears down. I don't use the blue but it can't be worse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:21 pm 

If the rust is gone, you are fine. The residual patina will come off when you sharpen the knife again. I think you are out of the woods.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:24 pm 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:If the rust is gone, you are fine. The residual patina will come off when you sharpen the knife again. I think you are out of the woods.

The patina I am hoping for haha. I think the rust looking stuff in the inside light is just bad lighting and reflection.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:19 am 

Good deal! Stick to the wine cork. Scotch Brite of any kind will just make the issue worse.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:57 am 

Uh, how would Scotchbrite cause rust?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:51 am 

By opening deeper scratches in the metal making rust easier to form. In these situations your looking more to polish the metal.

Page 5 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next