It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yanagi or Kiritsuke. Need suggestions.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

I am right-handed. I have purchased 2 of you takeda as knives in the past as well as a couple shun knives. I am looking into purchasing either a yanagi (270mm-300mm) or the Shun Blue Steel 10" Kiritsuke. My price range is $200-$300. The main purpose for the knife will be slicing proteins and processing various seafood.

Thanks,

Matt

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Yanagi or Kiritsuke. Need suggestions.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I'm not sure if you want a carbon steel yanagiba but since you listed the Shun which is carbon steel I'll answer yes for you.

This Kitaoka is a really good Yanagi. It's made with blue #2 steel and is in your price range. I like it a lot.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ki30yabl2.html

He also makes Kiritsukes which are basically tall yanagis with a cool tip. They tend to run a little smaller in size.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ki24kibl2.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Barring questions like "Have you ever used a single bevel knife......"

I would take a yanagi over a kiritsuke every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Kiritsuke are considered a master chef's knife for a reason. The try to combine several knives into one and mastering it's use is not easy.

A great yanagi would be one like Mark linked to.....or I really like Tanaka's stuff:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakasashimi1.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:58 pm 

I would probably go yanagi if you are looking primarily for slicing through proteins. However, The kiritsuke is pretty great at a variety of tasks, especially if you are a push cutter. the yanagi, being single bevel, will be a little be harder to manage. this is especially true if you are looking to cut through decently thick items. Single bevel knives are more of a skill than you'll realize.

Admittedly, I am pretty biased. I was a sushi roller for a while and I have a soft spot in my heart for all things yanagiba. But i think Kiritsuke is a better choice for most people.

You could also into a decent suji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:26 am 

I'm inclined to agree with Defaultanon and suggest considering a sujihiki, but if it's going to be one of the two, buy the yanagiba. You already own (I assume if you've bought four or five knives) a chef's knife/gyuto, which is an optimal all-arounder. If you want to specialize, go special.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

There is a difference between a double bevel kiritsuke and a single beveled (traditional) Kiritsuke. The double bevel version is more useful than the single bevel, but the tip is still incredibly fragile. They have a flatter edge profile and don't work well to rock chop. They are usually in a 240mm size, though there have been a few 270's I have seen.

What do you mean by "processing seafood"?? Are you breaking down whole fish or just portioning? Slicing protein, are you slicing down portioned foods, carving turkeys or doing a carving station type of thing? I wouldn't use a Yanagiba for breaking down fish (that's what the Deba is for) due to the thin edge, although you can tweak the edge to make it a bit more durable.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]