It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for round Naniwa stones
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm 

Does any one know where in Canada or the US I can order them from?

I was on an Euro website and spotted them. Designed for long knives but should be useful for any size. Perfect if you use the "western stroke". But probably just as useful if you use the "JP stroke".

Post subject: Re: Looking for round Naniwa stones
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:56 pm 

uhhh.....wut?

I need to know what a western stroke is. Assuming it's SFW, that is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:06 am 

Apparently there is such a thing. It's heel to tip. Each pass. See here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyLif-chWe0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:20 am 

Do yourself a favor, and stop watching those videos. That will change the profile and geometry of your knife in a way that it was never intended, unless you are sharpening a mezzaluna.

There is no "western stroke". It's an idiotic, ethnocentric extension of the idea that the "East" is some place filled with dragon smoke and gong noises and knives behave differently there. What is commonplace is different depending on where you go, but sharpening a knife is the same no matter where you are. Mark has a series of videos on CKTG about sharpening, and if you want a succinct rundown without any kind of nonsense in it, surprisingly enough, there is this video:

That "EZcooking" guy is on the short list of nutty people that made me start making Youtube videos about knife stuff. He talked into a camera for 45 minutes to explain how to use a honing rod. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 am 
Forum Moderator

I've tried the round stones and there's nothing useful about them, unless you sharpen axes. And even then, it's negligible.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

I can get them but I never felt a need. They also have really big rectangular slabs that look like small cutting boards too. Those interested me but I think I have enough stones for the time being.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 pm 

Hi Mark,

There doesn't seem to be a market for the round. Are you keeping them for yourself? I don't see them advertised on your website. And yes you sell enough stone varieties. :)

Curious. Do you sell the big rectangular versions? What are the dimensions? Grits/pricing? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:56 am 
Forum Moderator

These round stones from Naniwa as well as the large rectangular stones are available from Naniwa. I've seen them but for the price I really don't think they are particularly useful. The formulation of these stones most closely resembles the Naniwa Superstones. I would prefer Choceras over Superstones if this is what you are interested in.

Also consider that flattening these stones would ideally require a LARGE flattening stone. Naniwa does make one 150 mm x 300 mm in 24 grit, but to be kind, it really is not a very useful stone.

Consider using standard sized stones instead. They are more than large enough to meet your needs, even if you are sharpening swords or machetes :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:39 am 

Ok thanks Ken.

How do you feel about the Edge Pro Apex? Should I just forget about it and go freehand using "typical" sized whetstones?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well my honest opinion regarding devices like the EP and Wicked Edge and freehand sharpening is to use both a precision device AND freehand. Each teaches you and improves the other.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next