It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Nakiri recommendation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:25 am 

I like blade heavy Nakiris so....don't really like 'em too thin and light. Some knives I like really light depending on the profile, like your Masamoto.
CKTG has it listed at 6.8oz...which at 180mm, would be the same weight as my Fujiyama, which is fine. My current Nakiri is only 6.5" and it's 6.8oz... :twisted:

But it was listed as an Usuba when I bought it.

Did you buy it used or new?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:08 am 

I bought it used off a forum member on another site. Supposedly it was rehandled(Mike Henry) then sharpened by Dave M and only used maybe 3 or 4 times for a few hours, then stashed in a drawer before it made it's way too me.

When I got it it was really dull, I ran it a few passes on the Idahone and it just instantly transformed. After the 6K touchup it was even sharper.

But still it has some issues with making an initial break on certain food like tomatoes and it wedges with carrots and other harder veggies and doesn't especially like to chop stuff like that. But on stuff like onions, potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, it is scary how it glides through even on a full chop and not just a slice/push cut.

I'm wondering if it was reprofiled specifically for certain tasks purposely and it effects certain ways it likes to be used or if it simply needs to be progressively sharpened again starting around 1 or 2K? I'll find out later this week if the latter fully transforms it, but it was exceptionally responsive to even the lightest steeling and stone touch up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Socal - on second thought, the Shiro Kamo Nakiri might be an excellent choice for you. The Kamo knives I've seen have been pretty robust and the steel will keep a long lasting edge. They do look very cool in person as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:45 pm 

Dave Kinogie wrote:I bought it used off a forum member on another site. Supposedly it was rehandled(Mike Henry) then sharpened by Dave M and only used maybe 3 or 4 times for a few hours, then stashed in a drawer before it made it's way too me.

When I got it it was really dull, I ran it a few passes on the Idahone and it just instantly transformed. After the 6K touchup it was even sharper.

But still it has some issues with making an initial break on certain food like tomatoes and it wedges with carrots and other harder veggies and doesn't especially like to chop stuff like that. But on stuff like onions, potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, it is scary how it glides through even on a full chop and not just a slice/push cut.

I'm wondering if it was reprofiled specifically for certain tasks purposely and it effects certain ways it likes to be used or if it simply needs to be progressively sharpened again starting around 1 or 2K? I'll find out later this week if the latter fully transforms it, but it was exceptionally responsive to even the lightest steeling and stone touch up.

Sounds like a proper thinning and re profiling of the edge is what it needs; how it most likely came from Shigefusa....

Anyways, not to steal Socal's thread... :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:28 pm 

No worries desol - I just took it to another thread to get some input re: Kamo R-2 specifically.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2