It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quick question....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 am 

Hi! I am very new to the world of SR shaving and would like to ask for your input on these 2 razors I am considering purchasing as my first 'decent' razor.

Dovo 5 58130 Straight Razor, 5/8 Inch Half Hollow Ground Swedish Steel Blade, Ebony Handle

or

RALF AUST – RAZOR MANUFACTURE SOLINGEN 5/8" BLACK

The dovo is more expensive and doesn't include honing. The ralf Aust is from SRD. Aesthetically speaking, I like them both. I am currently using a vintage C.F. Ern I got on eBay for practically nothing but it has some slight pitting near the edge (can't see it on the bevel), and the scales SUCK. I am really enjoying learning how to shave again but would like a new, blemish free, razor.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Post subject: Re: Quick question....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

CHRIS <> Regarding the regulars, as far as I know, MICHIEL, is only going to be checking in sparsely for the next few days so hopefully Magnus will chime in.

All I can personally add is that they have pretty much ingrained it in me that the Swedish razors are superior products. Presumably due to their harder steel...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:44 pm 

Those were the inputs I was hoping to get. Thanks Melanpus. As for the swedish steel, that's what I was thinking as well which is why I am looking at this particular razor vice the slightly less expensive Dovos. Its funny how this is just as damn addictive as knives :lol: At least i already have most of the 'peripherals' for shaving...

Thanks,

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 pm 

Hi Chris. the Dovo looks like its a good razor for sure. cant go wrong with dovo. and as Melampus already said, Swedish steel is most of the time abit harder in the steel. size you got it right. 5/8 to 6/8 is a great starter size.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:33 am 

If you haven't already, you should pick up an inexpensive razor from Whipped Dog. They have used razors that are sharpened perfectly and are great to learn and make your sharpening mistakes on.

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/find ... t-razors-1

As far as choosing from the two above I'd choose the Dovo razor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:38 am 

I would to second Whipped dog. Its about as cheap as you'll find a beautifully sharpened razor and a strop. The guy who runs it is extremely nice and helpful. They will make great razors to learn on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:59 am 

Lol! I didn't buy either if my memory is correct. And 50+ razors later, still enjoying it nearly everyday!! The op was like a year ago lol

Off to the antique stores to look for a couple more razors :lol:

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 pm 

I haven't gotten a Straight razor from Whipped Dog, but ordered a few other things from him. Top notch service, and should be a great blade to learn on.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]