It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nakiri recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 pm 

Need a new nakiri. Have an old junky one, love it, would like a 'nicer one'.

Wa handle (but I don't care about handle - I will be putting a new one on to get grip I want...just don't want yo handle so I have to do conversion).

160-180mm is fine, but I gravitate towards longer than shorter, but not a deal breaker

Stainless, stainless less clad preferred. Perhaps kurouchi finish or semi-stainless. Again, not a deal-breaker. My better half isn't great about drying knives off, but I have (so far) caught everything, so I am not too worried. But it gives a preference towards SS or semi-SS.

I do sharpen.

Home cook, not professional.

$200 tops.

At least 50mm height, somewhere between 50-55mm would be fine. Don't want too much higher.

Contenders that I see. Let me know if there are others that I should consider:

SS
Shiro Kamo R2 - $180 (R2 powdered stainless, 5.6oz, 170mm length, 51.1mm height)
->-> Love the finish, R2 reputation is excellent, all SS would be great, extra length a bonus, heavier than most
Kono HH - $145 (on sale) (mono swedish stainless, 4.9oz, 165mm length, 50mm height)
->-> Kind of a light weight (i am used to a bit more heft), Kono has great reputation (used a Kono gyuto and loved the feel), great F&F

Clad
Tera-Fuji Nashiji - $199 (SS clad, cool finish, white #1, 5.0oz, 166mm length, 53.4mm height)
->-> Top of price range, a great 'looker', astonishing reputation for other knives in line, height perfect
Richmond AS Laser - $185 (SS clad, AS, 5.4 oz, 160mm length, 52mm height)
->-> Kinda short, good weight, good height
Richmond Hamon - $150 (SS clad, blue #1, 8.6 oz, 160mm length, 49.22mm height)
->-> Really heavy, not sure if it is for me, also a bit short on height and length. But love the way it looks.
Yoshimune - $160 (unique cladding, white #1, 5.8 oz, 165mm length, 50.4mm height)
->-> Know nothing about this one, but really unique look. Heavy. Too heavy?

Kurouchi
Anryu Kurouchi - $114 (Kurouchi over white #1, 5.1oz, 165mm length, 51.2mm height)
->-> K. Anryu's blades always have great F&F, so I doubt this one is any different. Great looking knife.

Post subject: Re: Nakiri recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:27 pm 

I'd love to get my mitt's on one of these...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shigefusa.html

They look really nice. Of course, there's a few I'd like to get my hand's on... :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:33 pm 

Nice knife. Might be a bit too hefty.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Socal - you've got a well thought out selection there.

My personal top picks would be the Konosuke HH, the Teruyasu Nashiji, and the Richmond AS Laser.

The Teruyasu will be a little more brittle, since the steel is so hard. Evaluate both of your techniques - you might need to modify some habits to avoid chipping with this one.

The Richmond AS Laser would be super nice as well - plus the semi custom handle might mean no re-handle hassle or costs for you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:19 am 

Shiro Kamo is calling out on that list. If you ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:35 am 

The Teruyasu might be the one. With all the buzz lately, $200 aint bad.

Have a look at the Gesshin Uraku Stainless clad SKD Nakiri w/ saya ($125)
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives-12/kitchen-knives/gesshin-uraku/gesshin-uraku-165mm-skd-nakiri.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:39 am 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:Shiro Kamo is calling out on that list. If you ask me.

Dan - the Kamo is the one calling out to me

Any one have this knife?

Steve - the Tera Fuji has me a bit worried about the chipping. My technique isn't the best, but not the worst. I want a bullet proof nakiri that takes a great edge and holds it, and isn't overly fragile. Looking cool is a bonus....

Handle is coming off regardless to get my gap from the choil/heel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:53 am 

socalboo wrote:Nice knife. Might be a bit too hefty.

It's pretty much a brick of a blade but very thin behind the edge and very well balanced if you like blade heavy knives.

Mine does tend to wedge some with stuff like carrots and squash and as razor sharp and toothy as it is I sometimes have issues with chopping stuff, it's a straight up amazing push and pull cutter though and just falls through stuff like potatoes and onions no matter what style you shoot for.

I'm not sure if I need to thin the entire blade out or it just needs a little overall work on the stones on the bevels to cure it, AFAIK these are always recommended because they don't wedge and chop so well.

I've touched it up once on a 6K and use my Idahone on it and it responds incredibly well, but still has those issues.

The fit and finish is really nice on the blade and although rustic has a fantastic overall feel. Can't comment on those handles, mine has a custom on it and that's the way it came into my possession.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:48 am 

How heavy is your 'Shig Dave? It's one of the Nakiri's that I swore I'd get someday...

How long have you had it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:04 am 

desol wrote:How heavy is your 'Shig Dave? It's one of the Nakiri's that I swore I'd get someday...

How long have you had it?

I've never actually weighed it and I the scale I have needs batteries, I'll try to pick some up tomorrow I'm actually curious myself because mine does not have a heavy handle yet feels a decent amount heavier then the listed weight.

Mine is a 180mm though, I've had it for almost 3 weeks, so not long at all.

I don't have the necessary stones nor feel my skill level is high enough to start thinning blades higher up yet, but I am going to sharpen it at 1k sometime this week to see if that helps.

Here's a pic:

Sorry my camera phone is terrible haha.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next