It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nubatama Ume and Bamboo
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:36 pm 

All,

I am thinking of filling in a few holes in my progression with some 2k 4k and a stone <200.

I have an Arashiyama 1k and 6k, are Nubatama stones worth replacing them completely with another 1k like the speckled? Or even should I look to another line like Chosera? I'm grabbing at straws really so just let it roll on whatever info you want to add.

Info related to sharpening though lol, I don't need to read about eating the still beating heart of an errant neighbor for asking why you drop tomatoes onto your knife blade in the dark, cold night. Or anything about traveling to a medicine man in the Himalaya mountains to try removing the caked on forge soot from your hands gathered in your own secret basement workshop where the furnace is fed by the souls of stray neighborhood cats.

Well, I suppose, those would actually be good stories.......

Post subject: Re: Nubatama Ume and Bamboo
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dan - IMO if you're happy with your 1K, stick with it. From what I've read here and seen on Ken's videos, the Nubatama Bamboo 150: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nuba150grwa.html would be a great coarse stone. The Suehiro Rika 5K is one of Melampus' favorites and is very nice to use. The finish is said to be around 3K, so that might fit very well in your progression. As a last stone before other things like leather strops, it leaves a sharp, toothy edge. You could refine that edge just a bit more on the 6K if you wish, for a next step before stropping on other media, if you do that at all.

Another option might be the new Nubatama Ume 2K stone as an intermediate step, or a finishing step for soft/Euro steel. IMO a 1K, 2K, 4K, 6K progression is overkill unless you're trying for that super nice, mirror polished look.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:58 pm 

I do tend to over polish my knife blades, I hear good things about the Rika, I have a long while to wait before I add anything into the line up though, so I will keep looking around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:21 pm 

I do like my 2k Ume speckled. It is a bit harder than my 6k Arashiyama, takes a 1-2 min soak, cuts quickly, and produces a modest amount of mud. I use it in a 1k Ume speckled, 2k Ume speckled, 6 Arashiyama progression. The 1k Ume speckled feels and cuts like it is on the coarser side. The 2k feels about 2kish to me. It transitions reasonably well with the 6k Arashiyama. I agree with Steve, I would not do a 1k, 2k, 4k, 6k, feels too close for me. I would only add one stone between the 1k and 6k. If you were to do a 1k, 2k, 4k, you might want to jump up to an 8k or 10k next, IMHO.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]