It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrading my Mac
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

I use only MACs and have for about 10 years and looking for an alternative to the 210 gyuto I just returned. I’ve never had a problem with any of them. I like the balance, the blade width, the steel etc. I guess it’s safe to say that I like the MAC handle, same size would be good, similar price range, I’d be up for stainless, carbon steel or anything in between that was recommended, and yes I know how to sharpen as well as hone properly. I appreciate you dealing with this odd occurrence. I’ve never seen anything like this happen to a knife except for one time when a friend put a MAC (with their thin blades) through one of those shitty Wusthoff Ceramic Wheel-type Sharpeners. I use an extremely fine (and very hard/dense) stone with oil, and a proper honing steel in between sharpenings so that wasn’t the problem. Again, thanks for your attention to this matter, let me know how it goes. Have a great weekend. Jon

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Upgrading my Mac
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going to make some assumptions and fill out the form for you.

Right Handed
210mm
Gyuto
Stainless or at least semi stainless
Open to wa handle or western handle
100-200 price range

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:00 pm 

I would look at the Kohetsu lineup. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohetsu.html.

It is a carbon core, stainless clad knife, but I have not found the aogami super core to be very reactive at all. The edge taking and holding properties are awesome. The knife is a tremendous value. One notable point to ponder is that in the 210mm length, the Kohetsu is said to be very thin, essentially a laser. I only have experience with the 240mm gyuto and feel it is a med-light knife, so there is a limit to what I can say of the 210mm length you are looking for. That said, the Kohetsu has become my go to knife when I just need to get stuff done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:03 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:... looking for an alternative to the 210 gyuto I just returned.

Sounds like something was ordered and returned? Or was that not the case? If so, what was returned and why? That might also help find something to your preferences.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:07 pm 

I'm a bit confused, if you have been happy with MAC for so long, why after one issue so you feel like "an upgrade?" MAC seems to have not really let you down.

That said, this knife beats any MAC I have ever laid eyes on or even heard about.....
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ictkcgy21.html

TKC rings in at just over budget, but I think that it is a great contender none-the-less. The TKC is the best knife I have ever used for a professional setting at this point. It crushes anything that I have bought before, or even since in durability and cutting potential over the long shift. That said, I haven't ever used a Kono HD2 which seems to be a thinner Wa TKC. Semi Stainless? it is practically stainless, but it will go nuts if you leave lemon juice on it. (just trust me)

This knife receives good commentary and falls under $200, alas, OOS.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html

PM steel and nice western handle, I think you would dig it.

A couple Wa suggestions....
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaankusugy21.html
Light, tall @210 and W#2 steel, this maker smiths for Masakage and under his own brand. I doubt it would be a disappointment. This knife or the Goko W#1 are great values. I have used the Goko on days of 15+ pounds per veg prep and had no issues with reactivity or all that much problem with edge retention. I hear the Anryu is just that little bit better though.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd21wa.html
A feather weight, thin knife. I have never heard anyone speak ill of Konosuke on performance or F+F, but it shatters the top of the budget at $223.00 USD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:27 pm 

I have and use a couple of MAC knives here at home.
Other forum members have recommended some great knives in the posts above. Especially the
Kikuichi Performance TKC Gyuto 210mm
How about a Richmond Laser? AEB-L steel, super thin and light, same price point as the Kikuichi
Coming from using MAC, which are also very light knives, might not be too much of an adjustment.

Or you might want to try the Richmond Artifex line, Western handle, much lower price point. Same AEB-L steel
I use the 9 inch MAC as a slicer, and I also have the 6 inch utility knife, used mostly as a tomato slicer, and some boning.

I enjoy using my 210MM Richmond Laser, it's a great knife. Again these are all at the upper end of your budget.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]