It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:56 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Pink handles...yup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Awesome!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:55 am 

Now I really want this in red and white....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Just remember that the red will darken a good bit once it gets wetted out by the epoxy. It turns a very dark red. Red Burlap keeps it color better, but the open weave/texture can create air bubble issues. I have done Burlap where I separate the strands and mix those in, but they don't show up well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Couple VG-10 damascus blanks from Jantz for some of my fishing buddies with my Laminate handles. Just need to clean up the tang in front of the handle, choil, spine and sharpen! Pics are of a 150mm petty/6" chefs with Pink Camo, 8" chefs with grey/black/red camo:

I tried a few different epoxies to fill the tiny air bubbles. They all seemed to work about the same. I tried Devcon 2 ton, Superglue and MAS Epoxies Rapid Cure. I chopped up a bunch of flannel fabric to try that for a new material. It should have a smoother, creamier texture to it and not as coarse as the other fabrics.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:38 am 

nice i personally like the black ones haha not a pink handle kind of person

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 am 

do they hold up well? since it is plastic i was wondering if the quality would last as long as a wooden handle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:21 am 
Forum Moderator

Plastic?? It's fabric soaked in epoxy and compressed. The epoxy I use is designed to build boats and laminate the layers of wood and fiberglass mesh in that process. It's completely waterproof and food safe; they use the epoxy to line water tanks. It's very tough stuff! I've beaten on some of the scraps with a hammer on a concrete floor and it barely scuffed the surface. I have a 6 ton shop press and finally was able to crack one of the pieces I did earlier. It was a orange/red burlap layered laminate with 2 layers of each color alternating.When I had the press almost maxed out, the piece finally cracked. When I looked at the crack, it was where the burlap had open spaces and where it cracked was different in each layer based on where the fabric wasn't. Withstood to around 5 tons plus of pressure on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 pm 

oh im sorry, i must have not read properly. for some reason thought it was some type of plastic. thanks for clearing up. none the less it looks good

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2