It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which Doi Yanagiba?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:53 am 

Hi and thank you in advance for helping me better understand the Doi knives and as a result J knives in general better.

I did not want to hijack the 240mm-270mm Yanagiba Recommendation thread but would like some additional information on the Doi Yanagibas.

I have considered buying one of Keijiro Doi knives since I read he retired. Knowing he was a pioneer in blue steel, it only makes sense to get one forged in blue steel. I would prefer a longer knife so I am looking more at the 300mm unless there is a significant reason to get the 330mm. Is bigger better, opinions are welcome. For the record, this is going to be used, but this purchase is more for the historical significance then to fill a cutting need.

The website does not list all the specifications for both of his 300mm blue Yanagiba knives, the ebony information is there but not for the mirror.

So my questions are focused on the differences between these two knives, are the specifications for the mirror knife the same as the ebony knife? Is the only difference the handle? Upgraded implies the handles were special ordered or changed after being received by CKTG. Which way did it happen, upgrades here in the states or ordered and delivered with the ebony handles from Doi?

Can we tell or does CKTG know what year the blades were forged for the knives currently in inventory? Masakage's come wrapped with a newspaper from the day they were finished.

What handle material is the mirror knife made of? The ferrule?
What is the ferrule on the Ebony knife, I am assuming buffalo but do not want to assume and be that guy?
Assuming the finish on the ebony knife is not mirror, what is it?
Are they clad? If so with what?

Any other useful information would be most appreciated.

I know this is a lot of questions and again want to thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Links to the knives follow.

Keijiro Doi Blue Steel Yanagiba Mirror 300mm - $430 on sale http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kedoiblstyas.html

Doi Blue Steel Yanagi 300mm Ebony - $450 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/doiblstya30e.html

weight: 9oz
blade length: 287mm
total length: 445mm
spine thickness at base: 4.44mm
blade height at base: 33.71mm

Post subject: Re: Which Doi Yanagiba?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:11 pm 

The extra length will come in handy when making beautiful pull cuts that a Yanagiba is intended for. The 300MM size will probably be just fine.

One knife is polished mirror like, the other is not. A few extra bucks get you a more pretty handle, if you want tradition go for the one with the standard handle. The ferrule is not plastic, it's horn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:29 am 

In case you hadn't already noticed the 330 ebony also has the mirror polish.
I would say it is safe to say they both are clad and it sure looks like buffalo horn on both. I haven't held either so I'm going on the photos alone.

I got to hold the white dragon thanks to another local knife nut in my area and it had the Suisin style octagon w/ semi-round handle and horn ferrule. From the photo it looks like the "mirror" has that same style handle, but the ebony looks like a true octagon. I can't say what the cladding was made of as the knife was still new in box. I remember the F&F being very good and overall a very impressive knife. OOTB edge is among the best I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

What handle material is the mirror knife made of? The ferrule?
- Ho wood and buffalo horn ferrule

What is the ferrule on the Ebony knife, I am assuming buffalo but do not want to assume and be that guy?
Buffalo horn

Assuming the finish on the ebony knife is not mirror, what is it?
- Satin finish.....this assumes we're looking at the same knife

Are they clad? If so with what?
- Yes, these are all clad.....otherwise they'd be sold as honyaki knives and be a lot more money. Clad with a mild carbon steel I reckon.

Upgraded implies the handles were special ordered or changed after being received by CKTG.
- I believe these were done prior to receipt by CKTG however Doi did not do the handles.....he is the forger, not the handle maker

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]