It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another Alternative to the Edge Pro.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:11 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVPsnOX0SLw This should answer your answer. A 10" chef knife is about the maximum length that the KME can handle.

Nmiller21k wrote:how does the stone move down the length of the blade do you have to unclamp and move?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:27 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cOpzt2C8OU So flipping the angle adjustment upside down allows more acute angle. Thanks to Wade for the demonstration!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:19 am 

Why does this feel like an infomercial?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:38 pm 

Knifeman just use some red Loctite and put it on the threads and put the nut on then just wipe any extra off and get a wrench and just throw it in the case.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:45 pm 

Jeff B it was done to feel like an infomercial it was done to show the guys and girls on this forum about the KME system as I know many people still do not know much about it and I wanted to point out what set's it apart from the edge pro lansky and the gatco and yes I have owned the lansky and gatco and tried my friends edge pro a few times.

I also wanted to show some of the tricks to using the KME that make thing's easier,I know Mark Richmond the owner of CKTG did now even know about the KME and is looking at getting from I have been told.

I contacted Mark after getting a knife off of him about getting some Shapton Glass stones cut for it as I heard he can cut them because he get's them for the edge pro with no glass attached and glues something onto the back for the edge pro.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:51 pm 

Nmiller21k watch this video if you want to see how you move the sharpening stone,once the knife is in the jaws and tightened down you never have to move the knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVIfiMoVB2I

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:08 pm 

Knifeman CAN if you go to a Hobby Shop that sells K&S Metal and get a 3 foot length of it in 5/32 or take you guide rod with you and and compare it to what they have there and get the same size and make a longer guide rod.

With K&S metal however the music wire is what K&S call's it is a real pain in the crackhole to thread,make sure if you try it you heat the part up you want to thread until it's red hot an get it good and hot then let it cool and thread it.

bevel the end of the rod a bit to and that will help to get it started.

I was going to post a picture of the case and I forgot to,I know the case Ron include's is a great case to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:21 pm 

I like the simplicity of the design but why not just cobble one together myself? The Edge Pro is more refined in terms of construction but it's still expensive. I don't understand why these jigs that look like erector set toys cost so damn much. The stones are tiny and for the same price I could get free handing on much larger longer lasting stones.

They need to make a jig that holds any sized stone. That would be more convincing. It costs roughly 450$ to get the premium edge pro package with the best stones. That's the same start up cost as a good versatile stone kit.

Or perhaps if the jig makers on the market could deflate their egos and intellectual property right sense of entitlement a bit...standardizing stones would help sell more product of either manufacture.

I'll gladly invest in a jig system when they don't appear to be overpriced nuts and bolts with rods. I want to see a jig that holds any stone be it or ceramic or japanese natural. That would be a major selling point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:03 pm 

Umberto the problem with the price is that KME is not that big of a company and I know for a fact money was getting so tight for KME Ron was thinking about selling the company 2 years ago and was afraid if he raised the price nobody would buy one,when he was at the point of really thinking hard about closing the doors he decided to raise the price a it and see if they still sold.

Also right now KME is getting so busy Ron could be selling to some major retailer's from what he told me and has a big list of phone numbers of people who want carry the KME but Ron could not keep up with demand so he has to say no.

I know Ron is looking at doing a few thing's to speed up production like getting someone else to glue the rubber onto the jaws and other stuff that takes the most time to do.

As far a bigger stones go that's not a great idea at all as I have tried using bigger stone's when I first got my KME and modified an extra stone I got with it and with a guided system they do not follow the curve of a knife well at all.

The KME ceramic stone's all I can say is buy a KME and try to wear them anytime soon because they are going last along time like 7 to 12 years or more they are very hard,also Mark Richmond is thinking about cutting Shapton glass stones for the KME and they cut fast and wear a very long time from what everyone is telling.

I know a guided system is not cheap and I myself can appreciate sharpening free hand but I also know sharpening free hand is an art and a skill unto itself,I also know an 85 year old Gentleman that offer's a free hand service and has some very stones that go up to a 30000 and he asked me to show him my KME and said with his 150000 grit stone he can not get it as sharp as my KME with my 10000 Chosera stone.If a person want's the sharpest and most consistent then you go with a guide system if you don't mind spending the money.

I myself would rather see Ron make it in the USA rather then send it over to China and loose more job's in North America,the problem is not a problem of an over inflated ego it's the problem of if you have a small company and put an order in for 500 peace's and the big guy ask's for 50000 of the same thing the big is going to get it for cent's where you are going to be paying closer to a dollar a peace.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:06 pm 

It's a neat system and I'd like to see it carried at chefs knives to go. But I think there needs to be a longer rod so that longer blades can be sharpened. Chefs knives and folding knives are different animals.

Most people advertising sharpening jigs are showing off beautifully polished folding knives. Getting a kitchen knife beautiful sharp is much more work. If Ron wants to make a big splash in such a small niche product he's got to get his system capable of all knife sizes. Also he needs to offer combinations of stones that Edge Pro and Wicked Edge don't.

No offense but the stock stones do not appear to be any good.

Page 2 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next