It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:32 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kono Fujiyama and Ginsan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

SteveG mentioned I shoot you a line on the forum.

I recently asked about the Kono Blue #2 Fujiyama, and possible custom handle jobs (cheap, but lighter/different balance than the heavier ebony). However, I also recently realized that the Ginsan series is basically the same as the carbon “Fujiyama” series: hand forged/ground by the same blacksmith, nice high, secondary bevel, seemingly impeccable F&F, and that “special” in-personal quality.

Any chance you have any 240 Ginsan Konos in that 100+ order that need custom japanese handles??? Or that any are on the way with Yew or other non-western handles? I’d love to try the Blue #2, but am very seriously considering the possible benefits of the ginsan for home use. Better site specs would help for the Japanese handle types (weight and spine thickness).

Still on the fence between blue #2 and ginsan, so any additional thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kono Fujiyama and Ginsan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Joe,

Konosuke uses 4-5 different blacksmiths. The Fujiyama shop is different than the guy that does the Ginsan and Blue #2 Honiyakis. They want to keep their identities a secret for competitive reasons.

I'm always reluctant to sell a knife to people when they start talking about impeccable F&F. Konosukes have good fit and finish. I've never met a knife that has impeccable fit and finish so I want to encourage you to lower your expectations. We have a service where you can pick the knife from photos and if you decide you want something I encourage you to purchase it and then I'll send you photos so you can choose yourself. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kncose.html

None of the ones I just got were the Ginsans. Most of them were HH stainless and a few HDs and a few odds and ends.

I like the Ginsans but I'm a sucker for good stainless. Nothing wrong with the Blue #2s. They're gorgeous knives but have different steel, different geometry and different grinds.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:18 pm 

Thanks, Mark. All very good to know!

(BTW—note taken on the "impeccable F&F." I understand how this is an issue for an online site, and I don't mean to put you off guard by my casual use of the term...just quoting others' response to the knives on the forum!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:45 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:None of the ones I just got were the Ginsans.
That's a shame. Great looking knives.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]