It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Strop base 3 by 11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:59 pm 

I can't find the HandAmerican Strop base 3 by 11 on the website! I thought Mark sold a very nice HandAmerican Strop base 3 by 11? Has he stopped selling it because the Richmond base does the same thing?

I can only find the

Richmond Base 3 by 11 (base only)
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ristba.html

Richmond Base 3 by 11 with strop
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/2piecestropset.html

Richmond Base 3 by 11 with strop and paste
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/haamstkit.html

thanks

El

Post subject: Re: Strop base 3 by 11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

El - that might be the case. Mark's 3x11 base works great. I have that, and the balsa and horse butt leather strops.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:12 pm 

I recall reading at some point that the Handamerican products were not being restocked. My impression was due to discontinuation at the supplier side rather than at cktg. The specific conversation had to do with the diamond sprays. I very well may be mistaken, but that is my recollection. I did notice that the "strop kit" starting shipping with a finer grit spray than the 1 micron HA spray that came with mine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:28 pm 

I have no problems buying Mark's base. I just wanted to get Ken's because he is part of the family here. Mark has his products, he posts here, and he even has videos on youtube that he mentions Mark in the description video notes.

Should I be concerned that the strop kit has "finer grit spray than the 1 micron HA spray that came with mine." (snipes quote)?

This will be my first strop and first paste.

thanks

El

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:13 pm 

emaduro wrote:I have no problems buying Mark's base. I just wanted to get Ken's because he is part of the family here. Mark has his products, he posts here, and he even has videos on youtube that he mentions Mark in the description video notes.

Should I be concerned that the strop kit has "finer grit spray than the 1 micron HA spray that came with mine." (snipes quote)?

This will be my first strop and first paste.

thanks

El

IIRC the 1 micron spray translates to ~16k grit which was a perfect jump from my 8K finishing stone. .5 micron doubles the grit and so on.

Adding a strop changed my whole outlook on edge retention.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:38 pm 

HA Base

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/honebase.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Jeff - guess I should have looked for it. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 pm 

someone confirm or show me my flawed reasoning.

I have a HAP 40 210 mm (I love it, thanks Mark). I don't feel confident enough to sharpen it not that it needs it now. I only use it a few times a week (home cook).

once a week... I plan..
strop it on balsa with Ken's 1 Micron CBN Spray (first)
strop on bare leather. (second)

I could potentially get a year out of the knife without sharpening.

Am I crazy?

El

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:39 pm 

Crazy = yes ;)

Being more serious, I would say it depends on how sharp you like your knives and how hard you are on them. I know I wouldn't make it a full year, but it all depends on your goals. You really shouldn't be scared of sharpening it. Throw it on the stones. Take your time and you may just surprise yourself. It takes surprisingly little to get a knife to near factory sharpness.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:32 pm 

A while ago I was speaking with a Japanese importer about sharpening Takamura knives, which are also high-speed powdered steel. He worked with the Takamura family, and they found that going beyond 2000-3000 grit was unnecessary, so he recommended that for a final, with perhaps a leather strop to finish. I certainly don't have anywhere near enough experience to say whether that's accurate or not, but he was pretty adamant about their findings and thought that the ultra fine stones were fine for carbon, but a waste for that particular steel. (He also had a nerve wracking habit of testing edge sharpness with the hair on the back of his neck.)

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next