It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is AEB-L Really A Stainless Carbon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 am 

This is a companion post for my first in the sharpening Q&A.

I'm looking to invest in a few good knives and stones with a focus on improving my sharpening skills. I have a few carbon knives, but now I'm looking for a stainless blade so that my wife won't be so adverse to using it. AEB-L is always recommended as being easy to sharpen and I've heard it called a "stainless 52100" many times. I'm just writing now to get some clarification on that. I have many stainless knives, kitchen and otherwise, some of them in premium steels, but I always find non-stainless easier to sharpen. Is AEB-L really as easy to sharpen as everyone says? Does it truly behave like a carbon steel?

Post subject: Re: Is AEB-L Really A Stainless Carbon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 am 

Yes go get one of the Richmond artifex knives, they are just to affordable not to go try it out. Aeb-l has become my preferred steel and I don't have to worry about it with girlfriend. I have the Richmond fanatic cleaver aebl and the Richmond laser aeb-l, but I started with Richmond artifex 240mm Aeb-l. All of these knives were used in professional kitchen with TONS of prep work and at home , I also own some other carbon knives but I pretty much stick with good hard stainless, and a yes they are extremely easy to sharpen. And if you personally don't like it at least your wife will have a nice knife that you won't have to worry about rusting

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

If properly heat treated, AEB-L is as easy to sharpen as any carbon I've ever tried.....yes.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 pm 

One more yes, nothing else needs to be said.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

And the crowd chanted:

A-E-B-L !

A-E-B-L !

A-E-B-L !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 pm 

The only thing I have seen on my aeb-l artifex is a tiny little rust spot where the engraving for "Artifex" is on the blade. Came clean immediately with a little BKF though. This was after it was washed and set to air dry. I have washed it the same way since then and never had the problem again..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:27 pm 

Yes, in my experience I find that AEB-L is just as easy to work with as carbon steels. My Richmond Laser AEB-L is super easy to work with and due to its stainless nature, it has become my girlfriend's favorite. It sounds like your wife will appreciate it.

Which AEB-L knives are you considering?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:45 pm 

AEB-L Rules. To me, it behaves a lot like a carbon steel on the stones. It's very easy to sharpen and it takes a great edge. I bought a few Artifex knives, one of which was in 52100. I gave the carbon knife away and kept the AEB-L one. I have a soft spot for carbon steel, but I liked AEB-L so much that I abandoned the 52100 knife.

I had such good experiences with Mark's AEB-L Artifex knives that I purposefully bought my newest pocket knife in steel as close to AEB-L as I could get.

Just do it, dude.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]