It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:31 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thank you Forum!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:45 pm 

I have to take this opportunity to thank EVERYONE who is part of this forum.
Since joining I have really expanded my knowledge of kitchen cutlery.
I still have a long way to go in my quest, but I just want to share this example of how the Forum has helped me.

I have a Joyce Chen, made in Japan DEBA. Please don't laugh :roll: I bought it cheap on a popular auction site last year.
It's stainless steel and really not that bad, since it's an older one, not like the made in China junk they sell today.
Well once I got it, I tried to sharpen it, and I mean I tried. The results were very disappointing. :(
Now I know why the person I bought it from sold it, cause they could not get it sharp either.
I put it away for a while, since I don't have occasion to butcher whole fish very often :roll:

Well last weekend, I dusted the cobwebs off to try once more. Now however, thanks to the forum, I knew two important things to do.
You have to sharpen ABOVE the edge first whenever sharpening a single bevel knife. It seems to be the same thing as THINNING above the edge.

I have a belt sander, and a bunch of belts from 150 grit all the way to 1000 grit. You don't think I am going to try doing this with my stones on a beater deba knife do you?

First I sharpened the blade above the edge with each belt, then the edge itself at the edge angle. The edge started getting better.
150, then 320, then 400, 600, 800, and 1000. About 10 passes thinning, and 10 more on the edge. It goes quickly.
I also have paper wheels, one side with grit for sharpening, the other loaded with white compound, that is the strop wheel.
So I gave it a good stropping on the white compound wheel, then made sure I got rid of any burr with the little felt block Mark sells.

WHAMO! I now have a very functional edge that I can put to use next time the job calls for a DEBA.

Next weekend, I plan to further refine the edge by pulling out the GREEN BRICK, which I also got a great deal on thanks to me being a member of the forum.

I HATE those awful white HO Wood handles, so again using knowledge obtained here I sanded the handle with some 150 grit, then 400 grit sandpaper, then I stained the handle using some Red Mahagony stain, let it dry, gave it a second coat, and finished with a few coats of mineral oil, hand rubbed in.

Well now at least it LOOKS like it CUTS :mrgreen:

I just hope the more experienced forum members read this thank you, as well as some of the newer members who can gain inspiration to learn from others.

Thanks to CKTG forum I am staying Sharp!
And yes my Deba knife is sharper than your honor student!!!! :P

Post subject: Re: Thank you Forum!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:23 pm 

Nice job! Glad you enjoy it here too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:54 pm 

Well, you know, I do what I can...... :ugeek: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:30 pm 

Glad to know that we could be of assistance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:22 am 

Good to hear you got the deba working again. I like working with my hands and those kinds of projects can be really fun.

Any pictures?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:47 am 

If I have some time this weekend I will try to get some pictures posted of my little monster.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:04 am 

I'm going to say it never happened on the internet unless there is a before and after pic...

Ok, just an after pic!

Post subject: After Pictures
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:20 pm 

Here are some photos.
Believe me you would not want to see the before photos. Whoever was using the knife did not know how to use a steel, it was really messed up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:04 pm 

Looks like a great job. Projects like this are fun because the knife is already messed up so you can go at it without the fear of messing something up! Good job.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:39 am 

Thank you for the pics. That handle turned out nice. Looks ready for action now!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]