It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Few things better than making a find
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:42 pm 

Was at an outdoors show a yesterday and was looking through some of the antique knives at a particular table. Buried underneath several trays of knives I find a 6/8 Joseph Rodgers full hollow. The horn scales are pretty beat up and nicked up, and the blade had some light corrosion on it, but was clean near the edge. Eight dollars. Figured even if I couldn't get it shaving it was worth that.

Well, did a little bit of work cleaning it up and took it to the stones. Shaves fantastic. It has a very stiff feel for the size and grind, and handled my beard with ease. I want to do some more work cleaning up the blade face and tang, but I'll try to post some pictures later.

Anybody else out there unearth some gems? I'd like to hear. This one has me thinking I might start hitting all the antique stores and garage sales and outdoors shows I can find.

Post subject: Re: Few things better than making a find
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 am 

I have found three that got me excited. I picked two up at the same store on the same visit, a Wade and Butcher 5/8 hollow ground. It's an older one with original horn scales. It's a great shaver. The second one is a George wolstenholm &sons celebrated XL razor. It is a 7/8 near wedge. The blade has a fantastic etching on it that reads, " George wolstenholm &sons super super extra razor made expressly for America. I haven't restored this one yet . The third find is the most exciting. It's a Wade & Butcher 8/8 the celebrated hollow ground for barbers use. It is all original with a smiling blade. It's the nicest blade I have, including my new ones. It also provides the best shave. I don't use it really often , only once in a great while. There's something else I think is special about this one and I will post pics of this one in another post. I don't want to high jack your thread.

I would love to see what you found. Is it one with a monkey tail? A Joseph Rodgers is on my want list. It's fun to find stuff like that isn't it?! Great find!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:21 pm 

Wow. Major finds. Puts me to shame. I need to start scouring places around here. Betting there's some great ones to be found.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:32 am 

I rarely find a sum guy deal... I did once on some Art of Shaving soap on clearance but never a blade, knife or fountain pen.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:37 am 

When I was living in Sweden I once found a Erik Anton Berg New in Box.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:51 pm 

I go 'antiquing' quite a bit. I've found several wade and butcher razor in various sizes, a fredrick reynolds in real tortoise shell, my most recent good find is a Clauss USMC from the spanish american war 6/8. I've cleaned it up some and honed it...GREAT shaves!! My favorite find is a 'Swedish Razor Company' 5/8 with 'hand forged' on the blade from Worcester, MA (I live about 15 min from Worcester). Its one of my best shaver and pretty cool being local.

Chris

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]