It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Barkeeper's Friend making things much worse?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:27 pm 

I had some very light rust on my Masamoto KS and a decent patina building.

Just used Bar Keeper's Friend on it and it removed the patina entirely while worsening the rust and in fact creating huge new rust spots all over the blade where there was absolutely nothing prior to use, not even patina.

Please help, I'm straight freaking out!

Post subject: Re: Barkeeper's Friend making things much worse?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:40 pm 

bkf shouldn't cause rusting. It is possible for it to cause some etching if it is not removed. Did you wash the blade after?

Pictures are always useful in these circumstances.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:43 pm 

My camera phone sucks. I don't think this is etching, it's orange brown legit rust and it's even by the spine where there was nothing but clear blade prior to using the BKF and the super light rust that was towards the edge is now darker and more pronounced.

After I make dinner later I'll try to post some pics but this sucks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:04 pm 

Sounds strange to me, I think something else is at play here, rather than the BKF.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:17 pm 

I'm gonna just try to remove it again with BKF later tonight, I'll just use a different sponge I guess.

How long do you usually let the BKF sit on the blade?

And do you use a lot of BKF or just a touch?

How long should I be scrubbing?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:05 pm 

I use it sparingly and do not allow it to sit for much time. BKF is an acid, so wash thoroughly after use.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:06 pm 

Dave Kinogie wrote:I'm gonna just try to remove it again with BKF later tonight, I'll just use a different sponge I guess.

How long do you usually let the BKF sit on the blade?

And do you use a lot of BKF or just a touch?

How long should I be scrubbing?

Thanks in advance.

I just sprinkle on a good amount for a lather, brush it in for a moment or two and then wash it off. I've found it depends on the steel for how long it takes the patina to dissolve.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:59 pm 

I tried it 3 ways before I made the OP.

First I put on a decent amount and then worked it into a slurry, scrubbed it lightly and washed it off. Dried it well. That is when the problems started.

Next I put a lot on and let it sit for about a minute or so. I then worked it into a slurry and scrubbed it lightly. Washed it off well. Then neutralized it with baking soda with a different sponge. Dried it well. Most of the rust new and old came off but there is still distinctly visible rust along the edge.

3rd time I repeated my second attempt but didn't use baking soda. It came back strong like the first time.

IDK what to do really.

I guess once I clean all the dishes up I'll try again with a fresh sponge from a different brand? Maybe something reactive in the sponge? They're those new Scotch Brite ones that supposedly have nothing in them but they come out of the package feeling damp and soapy, so maybe there's something in them that is reacting with the BKF and metal?

This is really friggin' weird though, I'm at a loss and so friggin' aggravated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:02 am 

I recently cleaned up a semi-stainless steel blade with the liquid BKF and some steel wool and I exposed so much fresh steel that the knife was getting a very ugly patina almost instantly so I cleaned it up one quick time, rinsed and dried it real fast and applied a generous coat of mineral oil and this stopped the problem. I then wiped most of the oil off and continued to use the knife as normal and it developed its natural patina and everything turned out okay. I would say to try this method especially using the steel wool as it is quite abrasive but not so much so that it will damage your blade, but it should remove any stubborn rust. Just clean it several times using alternate sides of the steel wool and new pieces as needed to keep from spreading old grime and rust particles to the newly exposed steel and finish as stated above and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:31 am 

Jwesly1 wrote:I recently cleaned up a semi-stainless steel blade with the liquid BKF and some steel wool and I exposed so much fresh steel that the knife was getting a very ugly patina almost instantly so I cleaned it up one quick time, rinsed and dried it real fast and applied a generous coat of mineral oil and this stopped the problem. I then wiped most of the oil off and continued to use the knife as normal and it developed its natural patina and everything turned out okay. I would say to try this method especially using the steel wool as it is quite abrasive but not so much so that it will damage your blade, but it should remove any stubborn rust. Just clean it several times using alternate sides of the steel wool and new pieces as needed to keep from spreading old grime and rust particles to the newly exposed steel and finish as stated above and you should be fine.

This was my thought. You are exposing a very reactive, and clean, surface to the air, which results in virtually instant oxidation.

Try the approach quoted, and see if that solves your problem.

A long-winded way of saying "+1".

Page 1 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next