It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:14 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: too sharp?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:47 pm 

Steering back to the topic, I currently use a smith tri hone (feel free to judge and laugh, the thing works) that has two Arkansas stones and some sort of coarse stone. I'll still get the upgrades for the artifex, but for the wusthofs, will the green brick even be an upgrade? Also, I cant seem to find the green brick, searching through the stones on the site, there are numerous green bricks. Which green brick is The Green Brick? Should I even bother?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Green Brick product page: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html

If you're happy with the results from the Tri Hone you might want to just try out the stones you get and see if they make an improvement before trying the Green Brick. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:57 pm 

If you are getting stones for the Artifex, just stick with those. They will do an adequate job on the Wusthofs too. Over time you may appreciate tying the Green Brick out for your western knives, but I would not get one in hopes of a vastly improved edge over something like the Shapton stones, for example.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:43 am 

If I get the green brick as well as a shapton 4k8k, will it still serve its purpose for the harder steel or is it soft to the point where I should just avoid using it on the harder steel? Sorry for my indecisiveness and thank you all for the help so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Green Brick will work fine for the harder steel as well. Shapton 8K is pushing it for ITK edges IMO - save your money on this. At least until much later after you've gained more experience.

If you're getting the Green Brick, I'd probably get the Shapton Pro 5K stone instead of the GS 4K. The GB will refine to a 2K+ edge if you work the mud a little. The 5K will give you a better step in a progression IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:02 pm 

I just watched the video that has the green brick/snow white progression and cant help but feel this has to be too good to be true. If I went that route, stop on green for soft steel and use the 8k on the artifex, would I be going too far of a jump or polishing beyond usefulness? Im very impressed by the video and am leaning towards this set, im just curious to hear outsiders opinions beforehand.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:27 pm 

I've used the green brick a lot, it and a Chosera 400 was my main combo for a long time. The green brick cuts with the speed of a 2k but polishes like a 4k which makes it very easy to go to high grit stones. When needng a high grit finish I would often combo the green brick with the imanish 10k.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:09 am 

I have the set you are looking at. I mostly use the latte and the green brick and stop. Some knives I'll use the Snow White on and it's not a stretch at all . Like Jason said the brick finishes closer to 4k and it does do a good polish on its own. I love the Snow White stone. I think this stone has the best "feel" of any of the ones I have. It's a pleasure to use but isn't necessary most of the time . I do use it in my progression for razors. If you keep your knives in top shape this is a great set. If you find yourself doing more sharpening for others, you will find you want another stone on the other side of the spectrum like the nubatamba 150. This will save precious wear on your 400 latte.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2