It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cutting down Shapton Glass Stones for KME
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

> Hi Mark how's it going,
>
> I just want to let you know that I wanted to be clear about one thing I'm looking for Shapton Glass Stones not the Pro Stones for the KME.
>
> I was told by a few guy's by email from the bladeforum that they have tried to waterjet and use a diamond wheel with water cooling and can not cut the Shapton glass stones as it is tempered glass it it just shatter's.The gus that emailed me said that they can cut normal glass with a diamond wheel but not tempered and the one guy said he talked with another guy who tried many many times to cut tempered glass that they use as a divider in stores sometimes and could not cut either.
>
> I just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't buy a saw only to find out the Tempered glass can't be cut at all.
> I'm about a month to 6 weeks out from getting the money I need to get the stones.
>
> Wade

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Cutting down Shapton Glass Stones for KME
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Shapton cuts these for us at the factory and there is no glass attached...

That is how we offer them for the Edge Pro. All that would be required is to cross cut them at 4 inches and they're done. It's an easy job for us.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Is it the same compound as the glass stones or is the same as the Pro,I a friend of mine was told by Ken Schwartz that the Pro and the glass a bit different?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

The Shapton pro stones and Shapton glass stones are different formulations. The Shapton glass stones are the newer technology and they cut a wider variety of steels a little better. They also dish more slowly which is a good feature when using jigs. The ones I sell for the edge pro are produced exclusively for Chefknivestogo and come cut to size and without glass attached, so we can easily glue them to Edge Pro plates after we receive them. We're the largest dealer of Shaptons in the USA currently and that is the reason they were willing to do these as exclusives for us (besides the fact I asked and offered to pay them alot of money up front to do them).

If we did 1x4" stones it would be a simple matter of cross cutting them with a tile saw.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:34 pm 

Then you could offer the scraps as nagura stones :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Absolutely.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

I will post in the forum and that's a good idea.

I know if I post this on the blades forum however without any proof meaning having stones in my hand to show them and take pictures they will never believe me as they have been fooled to many times about the hype of something coming out and never shows up or is just some guys dream of reselling a modified part that the maker won't address.

I will post in your forum for now about the KME and you should talk to Ron about getting one even if it's just the handle and the stone holder and Guide Rod and do a review slash test of it and tell the guy's on your forum what you think of it and tell them about making stones for it as well,I know your word on something and saying if it is good or bad will go a lot longer then mine will on your forum but not to worry I will post on your forum about this as well.

If you do talk to Ron about getting one be sure to tell him you want one with the longer jaws and a londer 3/4 spacer that moves the big black plastic wing nut back for more clearance at lower angles and ask him if he ever made a round nob instead of the wing nut as I heard he said he was,I'll ask him on Monday as I need to call him about getting a longer spacer.

Wade

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

I'll put up an item page and see if we get some interest with people submitting their emails. If there is interest I'll have some stones cut and flip the order switch and send out the emails. I'll come back here with a link...

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

I was wondering one thing about the Shaptons we never talked about,are they all the same colour and if so can thy be stained like the Chosera's so I'll know what grit I'm dealing with,I can stain them myself if it's just a matter of using idian ink on the back side of them.

I was wondering how thick will the Pro's be and how thick will the glass ones be without the glass backing,also can you give me a price on what you are going to charge me for the Pro's and Glass in each grit listed,I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Glass but need to do a bit more research.

1500,5000,8000,15000, in the Pro's

2000,4000,8000,16000, in the Glass

the last thing I was wondering do the Glass ones cut faster and what is the rate of wear like,do the Pro's wear better then the glass.

I heard the Pro's are hard like Granite and do not produce any slurry when sharpening witch is fine I just heard that.

I'll also these question's in your forum as well,and I think I'll do up some pic's of my KME and my Japanese Chef knives.
I was also thinking when I get the new stones off of you I will do a review of them on the blades forum and if you want you can stop by and just verify that the glass stones are not just Pro's that are cut down and sold as glass stones.

I will also do the same for you as I do for Ron I always try to do a review and promote the stuff he sell's as he is a good guy and I will do a review for your site as well.

I'll will send you a link to the forum and you can stop by and if you wanted to say something like you were telling me about maybe selling them and may have to pick one up to test it out that may help generate some buzz as well as you are very trusted on your forum.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]