It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Seeking Magnetic Knife rack suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:55 pm 

I am in the market for a magnetic knife rack. I am planning to get one from Mark.

The back splash in my kitchen is made of small little tiles. Do I have to drill into the tile! I would prefer not to drill into the tile.

Any suggestions
1. How to mount?
2. Avoid the drill?
3. or even a different option for storage? (I don't want a knife block)

I have not bought anything yet.

Thanks

El

Post subject: Re: Seeking Magnetic Knife rack suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:25 pm 

Most magnetic knife racks that are wall mounted will come with mounting holes pre drilled on the rack.
If you plan on mounting the rack on your ceramic tile back splash, Sorry, you are going to have to drill mounting holes.
You will need a special drill bit to drill through the tiles. I think they are carbide tipped.
The smallest holes will be made by drilling into the tile that is directly in front of the wall stud. That way you just use small wood screws
screwed right into the studs. The screws usually come with the knife rack.
The rack holes should be 16 inches apart, just like the studs.

If you cannot or don't want to mount the rack so it lines up with the studs, Then you are going to have to use plastic wall anchors.
That means drilling a slightly larger hole so you can push the anchor through the tile into the wall.

The only other storage option I can think of besides a knife block is a kitchen drawer knife organizer.
Norpro makes this one: Inexpensive, and should hold up to 12 knives.
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Piece-Knif ... B00005EBGT

There are other in drawer options as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:13 pm 

3M command adhesive strips are the first thing that comes to mind. Just be sure to use a cleanser(rubbing alcohol works best imo) to clean all surfaces. I would use as many strips as possible just to be safe. They are easy to remove and should have enough strength for the task.

If you have no plans to ever remove the rack hot melt polyurethane or epoxy would be a stronger, longer lasting option. Hot melt would allow you to remove the rack if needed fairly easily with a heat gun. You may not be able to get the tiles completely clean.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:26 pm 

The hot glue option is a pretty good one and will likely work well. But depending on how porous the tiles or grout are, it may be difficult to reove the residue - assuming you even take the magnetic strip away.

The cheapest place I have found for magnetic strips is Lee Valley btw.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:29 pm 

Some thoughts:

Depending on the tile layout, you might be able to drill through the grout. It would be relatively easy to repair latter if you take it down.

If your cabinet doors are a good size, you may be able to mount the rack inside a cabinet door and store them "in" the cabinet. Just make use you don't drill through the cabinet door and that there is room between the shelving and the door.

You could mount the rack under an upper cabinet.

I'm sure others will come to me, but I'm all out ATM :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:43 pm 

I use a free standing magnetic easel block made by Zwilling for the Kramer Euroline series. It will accept a 240mm blade with a 140 mm handle. Of course a longer blade can be put on the block but the tip will unsafely protrude above the block.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/content/p ... /26598.jpg

There are other less expensive alternatives, including this one from Boker:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00286VJ2W

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:21 pm 

I have this http://www.chefknivestogo.com/meindrknho.html and I love it, it holds all the knives I need it to and fits perfectly in a drawer right under my cutting board.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:19 am 

I had the same situation and solved it with Liquid Nails. (the original formula LN903 construction adhesive, not any of the "all purpose" variants)
It's been holding very well for nearly 3 years, no sign of weakening.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]