It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wusthof tri hone thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:26 pm 

A coworker found this and is thinking of getting it, seems like a good deal, he is just starting to learn sharpening and picked up his first japanese knife, the Richmond WA handle. Thoughts?
http://www.chefproknives.com/wusthof-tr ... -2911.html

Post subject: Re: Wusthof tri hone thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:38 pm 

I am willing to bet this will get you knives sharp.

The reservation I might have regards the quality of the stones. That said, it is $50 so not a lot at risk.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:55 pm 

If budget is of major concern, I'd spend half the money on a smiths tri hone, its what I learned to sharpen on. That being said, if I could do it all over again, I'd start with one of the combo stones from the site, there are a number comparably priced and have grits more suited for Richmond's steel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:19 pm 

I think the best bet would be the new Nubatama 150/1200 combo stone and add an Idahone ceramic rod. Honing with the 1200 grit edge will keep a pretty toothy but useable edge that won't drive you crazy during service. I mean you will have an edge that you can actually use all day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:34 pm 

I'm not familiar with this product but it looks like oil stones to me, probably synthetic? Sharpening a j-knife on that will be slow going.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:53 pm 

"I'm not familiar with this product but it looks like oil stones to me, probably synthetic?"

I did a web search and they do appear to be water stones.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:33 am 

Yeah, another retailer is selling a "Wusthof Tri-Hone Water Stone Sharpener" that looks like the same product. I've seen a similar product using oil stones (Smith's, maybe?), I guess this might be an improved version of that.

As others said, there are better options for the money but this would do in a pinch.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]