It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Forum search helped me pick my set of stones
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:19 pm 

I've been learning to freehand sharpen for a year or so now, and picked up a very inexpensive set of water stones to start (400/1000 combo and 3000). Having bought some very nice knives from Mark, I decided to get a better set of stones. I ended up spending a week or so, off and on, researching this forum and found lots of great posts/threads about first sets of stones. I also learned that while everyone has their own preference, everyone also said that practically every stone CKTG sells has its redeeming qualities even though it may not be one they would prefer.

Anyway, I wanted to start somewhere (another suggestion by many - start with something to see what you like and don't like, then go from there) and ordered the Shapton Glass stones (500, 1K and 4K) plus an Atoma 140x (for sharpening and flattening) and a Green Brick (just to see what that stone is all about). I was leaning toward another set of stones that many favor (Latte 400, Ume 1K or Bester 1200 and Rika 5K) but at least two of the stones are out of stock and so decided to give the also very popular and somewhat infamous (I refer to Melampus comparing using them to having sex with a robot) Shapton Glass stones a try. I'll see if I like them or not and figure it's not money wasted. Plus I'll have the Green Brick as another reference point.

By the way, I thought about posting a question but once I saw how much information already existed on this topic of first set of stones, decided to go into research mode. I ended up learning a lot more than I thought I would and also got a few laughs out of it too. The search function is a little clunky but like any search engine, once I figured out how to enter my desired search parameters, it worked out well. So thanks to all for posts past, present and future.

Post subject: Re: Forum search helped me pick my set of stones
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:30 pm 

Totoro wrote:...
By the way, I thought about posting a question but once I saw how much information already existed on this topic of first set of stones, decided to go into research mode. I ended up learning a lot more than I thought I would and also got a few laughs out of it too.

This has been my experience on various forums - usually you learn more using the search than asking a question. At best, you learn enough to ask a better question.

Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

That's great Totoro - kudos for doing the research, then making an informed decision :-). Personally, I really like my Shapton GS 500 & 1K stones. Great choice on the Atoma 140, plus the Green Brick will give you a different type of stone from the Shaptons for comparison and as you know, many recommend it for Euro/softer steel.

Report back please - we love feedback!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:01 pm 

Thanks for the comments. Will do on the feedback too.
Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:23 pm 

A quick update here - I got my stone set (Shapton Glass 500/1K/4K plus a Green Brick for my Euro knives and an Atoma 140x) last week and had a chance to use them this weekend. They're great! I really like the Shaptons. To me, they cut fast, had very good feel and produced nice edges. Of course I'm coming from a real cheap set of water stones and an old Norton combo oil stone so my reference point is probably not the best. I had to do some re-profiling on my Yamashin Funayuki and used the Atoma for that, then the Shaptons to finish regrinding and recovering the edge. It turned out much better than I expected.

I also used the Green Brick to touch up a couple of my Euro knives. I found the sharpening experience to be different as many have mentioned. Not better or worse and not sure how to describe it yet as I didn't spend as much time with it as the Shaptons. I'll be using it more this weekend to help in the re-sharpening of a Buck hunting knife that belongs to a friend and is in definite need of work.

So I am very happy with the purchase and look forward to learning more about sharpening stones and improving my skills.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]