It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:53 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Natural/Synthetic Stone Micrographs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:02 am 

So yesterday I did some experimenting using natural naguras on synthetic stones. The goal was to ease the transition between going from synthetic stones over to natural stones.

So i started with the 150 Nubatama

Then I moved up to the 1k shapton with an Amakusa Nagura

Then I moved up to the 2k speckled Nubatama , with an Iyoto Nagura , this is where things start to get interesting.

From here I went to a Khozuke Jnat with matching TomoNagura

I stropped on bare roo after , what a nice edge , very toothy , yet still refined , beautiful to look at, solid Performer. A side road of this experiment was to experiment to see if this increases the edge retention/durability of the 4116 steel.

Also touched up my straight with my Mukaida with matching Tomonagura

Post subject: Re: Natural/Synthetic Stone Micrographs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:21 am 
Forum Moderator

Extremely impressive and innovative! Really like the Mukaida plus tomo micrograph and the Khozuke micrograph is most unusual. The contrast between the synthetic scratch pattern above the bevel vs the natural scratch pattern is quite marked.

I would never have thought of mixing the Iyoto nagura with the 2k speckled. Makes sense, but I wouldn't have thought of it. I've used the Iyoto nagura with the Meara for interesting results.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:32 pm 

Good post. Making your own Han Han in a sense. I'd like to see some micro graphs of a progression with the stropping compounds you just got. Maybe finish your razor and strop through a progression of them with photos. That would be interesting to me. I'd do it but you are the one with all the compounds :) if there is already a link like tat could you post a link to it? Thanks! Good job!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:50 pm 

Thanks Ken , I have other ideas floating around the back of my.head but this was a fun one!

RW - At some point in the future i will be doing just that. Taking comparative pictires of all the different compounds under the scope. I just need to find the time and a bunch of knives that are exactly the same.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:55 pm 

Maybe use your razor and strop it after the stones . Do a progression of either CBN or boron carbide. Start with 1 or 1/2 micron and go down from there, taking pictures between each. Maybe 400 power is not high enough to show the differences at that level?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]