It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: stropping - newspaper vs leather/other materials
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 am 

I've tried just about everything and I now only use a 13k or 16k stone to strop, I've given up on leather completely. I'm tired of spending good money on a good strop and then getting nicks in it, not to mention the money spent on the compounds. I've haven't used anything but a high grit stone in a year or so now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:28 pm 

I find I don't need the strop kit. The balsa is over half an inch thick and if you place it on the edge of a table there's enough height to just strop there. The magnet back is still convenient for sticking it on the side of the fridge when not in use. I use a 3 micron compound and 1 micron diamond paste on 2 separate balsa strops. The horse butt leather is not necessary, I concur with sailor leather can be left out but if u want a polished edge go for it. The edge after diamond on balsa is already shave sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sailor - do you strop on the stone wet or dry? I'm guessing Sigma Power Select and Shapton GS - am I close?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:41 pm 

Hi Steve, you are spot on with the stones :)

Always wet and I have a couple of pieces of natural finishing stones, so I usually create a little slurry on the the stone prior to the stropping process, depending on the quality of the knife. I got my hands on a beautiful hand made Japanese knife (name starts with an S I think and the initials HR were on the blade by the Kanji). So for that particular knife I used the natural stone (from Ken the gifted one) to create the slurry.

I don't get the pleasure of sharpening too many carbon knives but I get startled by the edge every time I do, so sharp and so nice to sharpen as well.
(I need one of those for myself)

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:31 pm 

I use split leather between the stones to loosen remaining debris/burr, with basic carbons only. Looking for a high polish after a 5k Chosera I use some acrylic artist's paint with Cr2O3 (olive green) on a piece of leather -- the support isn't that important. Newspaper black ink gives a lot of bite. All this just for fun. Depending on the steel it hasn't always a lot of practical meaning in the kitchen.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2