It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: First Impression: Tojiro DP Paring Knife 90mm
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:00 pm 

Tojiro DP Paring Knife 90mm
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todppakn90.html

I purchased this primarily to get a feel for VG-10 steel. Most of my knives are softer German steel so I'm trying to get a feel for the different options before I spend a ton on more expensive knives. It's also my first Tojiro so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.

Packaging: Included box is quite sturdy and knife is shimmed to prevent damage during transport. Instructions are in both Japanese and English, although the English is barely recognizable as such.

Fit and Finish: Overall a fine knife. Quality is above average with no glaring flaws. The scales could see some improvement; fit isn't perfect. But are perfectly serviceable. The only real complaint here is there was a burr on the right side of the choil that is sharp enough to draw blood when I scratched the skin accidentally. I hit it with a little wet/dry to knock it down and now it's fine.

Blade: OOTB The edge is quite sharp although I did detect a slight burr left from the factory grind. Made a mockery of Tomatoes, baby cucumber and paper that threatened it :) One cucumber that was sitting in the back was almost frozen and this one was a bit more difficult to cut through, perhaps "Sticky". (I made all the same cuts with a similarly sized Wustoff paring knife for comparisons)

Over all first impression is quite positive. Seems quite a value for $39. When I get more use out of it, (In particular, some actual paring use and a sharpening session or 2) I'll follow up with a more comprehensive review.

Post subject: Re: First Impression: Tojiro DP Paring Knife 90mm
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have the same knife and really like it thus far. I'm trying to force myself to do more in-hand paring work (home cook) to gain some skill and learn more about the knife. It will get stupid sharp.

It's pretty common for the Tojiro DP line (and many other Japanese knives) to have sharp feeling choils and sometimes spines. It's normally a quick procedure to round the edges slightly to increase the comfort significantly. Sharp choils bug me :evil:.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:52 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-blr330n4

turn some mushrooms!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:51 pm 

WHen I had this knife before it got stolen from me in the kitchen (pity...), I don't recall having any issues with fit or finish. What I DID like about it was the nimbleness of the handle and like you said, the mockery it made of tomatoes and other small vegetables.

The other thing I enjoyed was seeing how other cooks would notice it's unique blade shape, almost like a slender sheep's foot but not quite.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:55 am 

Nmiller21k wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-blr330n4

turn some mushrooms!

I found him quite funny actually.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:07 pm 

I like the review and the video. I think we should have more posts like this! It shows what we can do with our knives.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]