It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Plastic cutting boards - how bad are they
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:33 pm 

I will purchase a very nice end grain cutting board but first I would like to purchase several high end knives. So in the mean time I am using some of the readily available white plastic cutting boards. My question is just how bad are these plastic cutting boards for my knives?

I've avoided using bamboo, glass, Corian, granite or other materials so far, as it's really easy to find information telling you not to use those.

I know that this seems like a really simple question that I could easily answer myself with a quick search but I've done some searching here using the search box, as well as some Google searches and keep finding differing opinions. As far as the plastic goes I think that it's just so common that I'm finding information for and against it whenever I search the topic.

I believe that the experts here are just about the most knowledgeable anywhere so I was hoping that someone here would be able to provide me with the correct information on this.

I will use the information you provide to decide when I purchase the cutting board in relation to the knives I'm looking at getting.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Plastic cutting boards - how bad are they
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:42 pm 

I've got bamboo and poly. I've not found the poly to dull the blades if you just cut forwards and back as in rocking, pushing, pulling or chopping. No changing of blade direction and no scraping to push food with the blade and the poly is just fine. I do chop and the knives do hit the board pretty hard sometimes but they don't curl or dull, poly is a little soft and seems to damper the impact of knife hitting the board. I've never owned an end grain so can't speak of how poly compares to that. The bamboo seems to wear the blade a little more than the poly but not by much more, just sharpen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Daf - they will work just fine until you get your nicer board. Your edges won't last as long as on a nice end grain board, so if you know how to sharpen and maintain your knives, you'll be OK. If you don't know how to sharpen, then I'd spend the money on a cutting board sooner rather than later. The Board Smith: http://theboardsmith.com is one of several high quality board makers. Lone Star Artisans is another: http://lonestarartisans.com.

How long your edges will last also depends on your technique and whether you hit the board hard machine gun chopping versus more gentle glide cutting and the like.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:09 pm 

Plastic boards are a small step up from bamboo but aren't going to kill your knives if your careful. End grain is definitely the best way to go. Lots of people keep a poly board or thin poly sheets around to use on top of their end grain when cutting raw meats or poultry for an easier and more sanitary clean up.
I personally do everything right on the board, wipe it down well when finished. I dilute a little vinegar in water and wipe it down with that too if I've been cutting meats. If you use it for meats prep everything else first. There are also those that have a board for meats and one for everything else. My board is to massive to be switching it out.
Don't forget to keep it oiled to keep it waterproof and soaking up juices. I use a mineral oil bees wax paste to keep my board sealed.

Last edited by Jeff B on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jeff - that's what she said :-) :-).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:52 pm 

Thank you so much to everyone for the great advice. You guys covered everything, even the things I hadn't thought of yet. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:17 am 

>daf
you might want to look into the rubber boards like they use in a lot of sushi joints, http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/foodse ... inch-thick
I love mine and its real soft on your edges, when the get worn you can always sand them down, by far a step above poly boards and just below end grain imo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 am 

I posted this link on another thread but it pertains to the discussion here also.

Americas test kitchen tested cutting boards:

http://youtu.be/K8-tAgEQpJ0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:38 pm 

Love my Hi-soft board. Feels great with food, and real easy on the knives.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:01 pm 

Thanks for the additional information. I had no idea that rubber cutting boards even existed cheffiec. The video was helpful as well rayong. Flyboy320, I'm looking at the Hi-soft boards in another window as I type this response. Thank you to all of you for the additional information.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]