It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Needing a new 1-2k stone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:57 pm 

Well, my bester 1200 only has 1mm of life left in it, and I need a new stone to replace it. I'm entirely out of the loop as to whats around now, but here is a brief rundown of my sharpening lineup:

I've previously used kings (too much dishing for my first stone), Shapton (didnt like the feel or the edge), Naninwa (great edge, felt like it got loaded up with the metal requiring multiple 'stone fixer' times each session), and now the bester 1200 (cuts fast, toothy edge, not much mud though)

The rest of my sharpening kit is a 150 grit king brick, a 2-3k (My guesstimate) natural stone I got from TCBlades <First generation of his Covenant natural stones, 3-4 years ago>, and a Naniwa 5000 grit stone.

I currently use my Masamoto VG gyuto 240mm (for prep), Masamoto High carbon slicer 240mm (for service), Masamoto White steel Sujihiki 300mm (for fish), global flexible boning knife (for butchering poussin) and a 35mm Misono Moly paring knife. Also have a nenox suji, Minamoto-kanemasa Suji (both 210mm) and a Minamoto Carbon Deba that haven't been used much since I've started my new job in July

I love using the Covenant and the Naniwa for my slicers, but I find that they don't leave a durable enough edge for daily prep work with the gyuto. And other than being super shiny with the naniwa I can't tell a huge difference in 'bite' between the two.

So...I guess what I'm getting at is...What should I try next??

Post subject: Re: Needing a new 1-2k stone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 pm 

I just got an email reply from TCBlades. He told me he doesn't like to apply grit numbers to natural stones, which makes sense. Said he would have put it in the 'fine/finishing' stone category and said if he had to guess hed say 5000. My guess might be a touch lower, the edge is more aggressive than the edge left by the naninwa. It leaves a nice hazy finish on the bevels, as opposed to the mirror finish the naninwa leaves

So, I guess this leaves me with a decent sized gap between the 1200 and my finishers. I could probably extend the life of the bester for a ways if I start using something in the 2-3k grit range for daily touchups, also.

Ken has reccomended to me either the nubatama ume, or a natural aoto int he past.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:28 pm 

Well , what type of stone are you looking to add? A natural or a synthetic?

Naturals - Id look at a 2 stone combo. Something like the amakusa and khozuke. Theres a myriad of stones in this range , depends on what your looking for.

Synthetics - Well theres also a wide selection out there for these. The 1k Nubatama Ume is a good stone , or i think you would particulairly like the 1k platinum nubatama. Id add a 2k stone to the lineup as well. The 2k Speckled Nubatama will fit nicely here and play well transitioning to either sythetic or natural stones.

Last edited by Sadden on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:34 pm 

I do enjoy using the natural stones and playing in the mud as I like to say.

Unfortunately, at this time I only have the budget to add one stone to my lineup so I'm thinking a 2/3k stone then I can replace the bester eventually.

I also need to get a better lapping system, right now I have the brown brick that korin sells that is only 1x3" in size.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 pm 

It's a best seller for a reason and will get you from your 150 King Brick to your Naniwa 5k. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html

Last edited by Jeff B on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nbles - this topic has some good 1K stone summaries: want-to-explore-1k-alternatives-t5708.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:51 pm 

I just got the Nubatama 1k Ume speckled XX-hard from Ken and the Nubatama Ume 2k speckled from Mark. The 1k feels coarser than its grit rating. It cuts much quicker than the Kings it is replacing. As far as edge refinement, I suppose it is a bit coarser than 1k, but it feels grittier than the edge it puts on. I like the stone and would highly recommend it, but I might lean toward the X-hard or the medium if I were to do it again.

The 1k becomes a rockstar when the 2k speckled is added to the lineup. It feels softer, refines well, and cuts quickly. I have been using the 1k, 2k then transitioning to the Arashiyama 6k and I have liked the results so far.

So, in summary, the 1k Ume is a good stone that is made better by the addition of the 2k. Given that you still have the 1200 Bester, you might consider starting with the 2k speckled and seeing how you like it, then add the 1k when the Bester is toast if you are happy with the results.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 pm 

You might also want to look at a good Aoto natural stone...Paying a few bucks more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:15 pm 

Funny you mention that umberto. I was just talking to one of the cooks I met in Portland when I was staging out there and he threw these out as options.
Shapton pro
Chosera
and Nonpariel Blue (Aoto) Water Stone that I can only seem to find on another site (and I'm not sure the rules on linking to other stores here :))

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:57 pm 

Nbles wrote:Funny you mention that umberto. I was just talking to one of the cooks I met in Portland when I was staging out there and he threw these out as options.
Shapton pro
Chosera
and Nonpariel Blue (Aoto) Water Stone that I can only seem to find on another site (and I'm not sure the rules on linking to other stores here :))

You mean this one? http://www.chefknivestogo.com/blueaoto.html

I think umberto was referring to a natural one. The blue one above is synthetic. I don't have any experience with it, but have heard its a good stone. It's been in the shadow of the green brick.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next