It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Arashiyama cracked
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 pm 

Not bad but the temp and RH will still cause slow drying at that point. The typical dehu won't be very effective at that temp either.

Regardless, keep the Arashiyama in water.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

At home, I dry my stones after use the same way Adam and Jeff do and I've yet to have a problem. When I put them away I stack them with chop sticks in between so they have full air flow around them just in case they're still wet inside.

At work I use mostly shaptons since they're splash and go but we do use soakers from time to time and like Jason, we perma soak these so we can pull them out and go. I've never had a problem with this either.

I have no firm answer for why that stone fell apart. Changing your storage habits is my best guess on how to prevent it from happening again.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:27 pm 

Well since there are no storage methods that I am aware of and I have received many different ways to store the stones, I still don't know the proper way. I have had a King combination stone for many years before buying four new stones and that one is still in great condition. I placed all my stones in water for the last few days and the Arashiyama, which has shown quite a few cracks, was removed last night. When I picked it up another piece, approx 1 1/2' broke off. The next crack that I know will break off another piece, if I handle the stone, will leave me with about 3 1/2 " left of the stone. Should I keep all my stones in water, like some have said, or let them dry after each use which I did? What does the mfg. say? Very expensive testing different methods without instructions.
My other stones purchased at the same time as the Arashiyama are the Chosera 600, Naniwa Aotoshi 2K (green brick) and a Nagura for creating a slurry.
Should all these be kept in water or air dried???
Thanks for you reply to this thread.
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:49 pm 

Do not soak the Chosera, it is against the manufacturers recommendation. choceras-cracking-t5748.html

The Green Brick is basically splash and go, so I would wet as needed to use, then wipe down and air dry, but this is just my opinion.

I wonder if someone could set me straight: I generally try to soak my stones a little a possible. For my Nubatama Umes, I have been giving the about a 2-3min soak, so I don't begin soaking the 2k until I am already using the 1k. The Arashiyma I do the same, begin soaking while using my 2k stone. The rest of my line up is splash and go, so I do not soak. Then I towel dry my stones, set them on my cooktop grate and leave them there to air dry till I need to cook next, usually the next afternoon. When I store them, they are in a tupperware box that I leave the top off so they can breath. I only just got several of these stones so my habits have not been put to the test, but my King Ice Bears have been treated like this for ~4 years and I have not had any problems.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm 

The Arashiyama 6k is a splash-n-go stone like the Choceras. I have had no issues with my 6k but I never soak it. I think the soaking leads to to much saturation which makes the stone vulnerable to evaporation to quick for the stone to handle. It is my thoughts that you either have to use it as a splash-n-go or pemasoak it like Jason does. Soaking before each use and then drying leads to cracking. But hey, what do I know! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm 

Well now I have a mfg. recommendation on the Chosera. That's all I got so far. Others soak all the time with their stones and others air day after wiping down. Instructions need to come with each stone so others don't have the problem I have with the Arashiyama. I did notice that the Chosera built up a slurry from just applying the blade to it. Seemed soft. Will not keep this in water.
I have always soaked just before using for about 10 min. This didn't work with the Arashiyama. Hope I can get answers for all my stones.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:23 pm 

Want to thank Mark for taking the time to get in touch with me and working out a solution the the issue with the stone. Very pleased dealing with your company.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2