It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stubborn burr removal
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:12 pm 

So I sharpened my daughters calphalon katana this am. Says its made of vg1. I brought it to 5k polish to see how it handles it but there were 2 small sections I had trouble with removing the burr. Tried abrading it with light edge leading strokes, cork, felt and still a small section with a burr. Finally got it off with my Mac honing rod but seems like this may defeated the purpose of the 5k finish. I've read about using a piece of wood to deburr. Would this have been more desirable compared to the home? Any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Stubborn burr removal
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:32 pm 

I use a rod to remove the last of a stubborn burr at times too. After that I do a few very light edge leading passes on a high grit stone to restore the polish and clean up the edge. A few passes on a loaded strop after and the edge is usually screaming sharp by then.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:27 pm 

Sounds like you didn't bring the edge to a full apex.

A burr can still form in areas even when the apex has not been reached, return to your 1k and make sure the edge has a good burr down the length of the edge and that it flips easily with each pass.

If your still having burr problems drag the edge through soft wood a few times and finish with very light strokes on the stone. Edge trailing strokes might help too.

The honing rod likely induced a micro bevel thus correcting any grinding errors near the edge apex. It also dropped the fineness of your edge a few thousand grit by using the rod.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:43 am 

+1 Jason B.

Also, I find that removing stubborn burrs is easier when I use barley edge trailing strokes that run almost parallel to the edge, so that the knife is moving almost strait across the stone from heel to tip.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:55 pm 

I use ceramic rod and do alternating strokes till I can't feel burr. If burr is obvious on 1 side I work the rod in that area first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jason B. wrote:Sounds like you didn't bring the edge to a full apex.

A burr can still form in areas even when the apex has not been reached, return to your 1k and make sure the edge has a good burr down the length of the edge and that it flips easily with each pass.

If your still having burr problems drag the edge through soft wood a few times and finish with very light strokes on the stone. Edge trailing strokes might help too.

The honing rod likely induced a micro bevel thus correcting any grinding errors near the edge apex. It also dropped the fineness of your edge a few thousand grit by using the rod.

+1 Better at putting that into words than I could ever hope for.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:07 pm 

I find that stopping on a 2"x10" of rock hard felt works pretty good or just stropping with chromium oxide between changes of stones, also works well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:29 pm 

I don't have very high grit stones. I use dmt diamond plates. The extra fine is 1200 grit and the ceramic rod I use to deburr is also 1200 grit. My next step is stropping with a 3 micron compound on balsa followed by 1 micron diamond on balsa. I know it was explained that stropping could round the edges off but I find the edges uber sharp with this progression. Stropping is also less likely to create a burr.

Result is really sharp burr free edges. If the edges are rounded I can't tell.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]