It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Books and other references...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 pm 

Hi Jason,
You mentioned in your intro about books you have read about the craft/art.
Can you recommend any books and other references to a beginner with some skills, but little knowledge? (Keeping in mind have have watched almost every vid of yours and many others...Ken Schwartz...etc...)
My local library system is huge, but they have little on sharpening.
I am thirsting for the knowledge to accompany my hours of practice. Hours spent and yet to spend.
Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Books and other references...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:49 am 

That's a tough question, most of any book reading was done at a early age and truthfully I only have a vague memory of it. I believe it was "The razor edge book of sharpening" where I first heard of using a oil stone dry that kinda changed my perspective on sharpening. Made me realize there was more than one way to skin the cat.

Today I recommend the "experiments on knife sharpening" by John D. Verhoeven as it gives a scientific perspective that you don't often find. Not a book per say but a good read.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mikey - this is a reference guide that's highly recommended by some of the more experienced forum members.

"An Edge in the Kitchen" by Chad Ward: http://www.amazon.com/An-Edge-Kitchen-U ... 0061188484

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:27 pm 

Really cool guys. Right on. Thanks.

I will definitely be checking those out.

I actually have "The razor edge book of sharpening" on hold at the library right now. I figure it can't hurt to read all I can get my hands on, at this point in my learning. I am just having a blast practicing on my less expensive knives right now. I love these water stones. I still use the Edge Pro to sharpen for my modest amount of patrons, but it will be great to feel confident enough to work on others knives free hand.

Feel free to recommend anything else that comes to mind, guys. I am very grateful for the help.

thanks again,

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]