It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Clad knife, what happens when carbon edge is gone?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:44 pm 

I don't think it's going to go from bad to worse.

I also don't think you're generally going to have cladding on the edge. The core/center of the knife is what matters. The edge and just behind it are going to be pretty thin, so that's always going to be the core.

Someone else mentioned the pencil analogy. ANY sharp pencil will have the lead (center core) at the point. There is no way you could have it sharp with wood at the point.

And I think thinning would be more certain with an edge pro--you know the exact angle. I don't have one, and don't know the lowest angle you can use, but it seems like that would thin behind the edge and remove some of the cladding. The process and general principles would be the same, with either the EP or stones.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:34 pm 

As you sharpen you'll grind back the cladding and expose more of the core. Even if you don't thin the secondary bevel you should still have the core steel make up the cutting edge. Only time when the cladding might end up as the cutting edge is if you shift the bevel to a 90/10 from a 50/50 or lower ratio but why would you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:12 pm 

"Someone else mentioned the pencil analogy. ANY sharp pencil will have the lead (center core) at the point. There is no way you could have it sharp with wood at the point."

Not entirely true. You can sharpen asymmetrically and end up with a sharpened wood tipped pencil. Same can happen with a knife where the cladding becomes the edge. It does not make for a high performance piece of cutlery. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:46 am 

Point taken.

I will qualify my statement with the condition that one is sharpening to a somewhat symmetrical edge. Anything beyond 80/20, and my previous statement needs modification. But, IMO, that's extreme.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 pm 

Thin the cladding and you won't have a problem, that simple.

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3