It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:58 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Natural stones vs synthetic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:50 pm 

Is it better to use a combination? A few synthetic stones (e.g. 400 grit/1000/3000/5000 and then a higher grit natural stone as the final finishing stone) and one natural? And is there any reason why one might prefer a natural stone over a synthetic (I'm assuming as a finishing stone)? Does any one use only natural stones to sharpen/polish their JP kitchen knives?

Post subject: Re: Natural stones vs synthetic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:55 am 
Site Admin

It's really hard to generalize with naturals..

Naturals tend to give a hazy finish which some people really like but I don't usually find that naturals perform any better than a good synthetic.

Some people also like naturals because they're interesting, cool looking and well natural. It's fun to sharpen on a stone dug out of a mountain like people have done for thousands of years and have it work. I have a ohira tomae that I use quite a bit from time to time and use it as my final stone before I strop. I like it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:34 am 

For carbons, there isn't in my opinion a better match than naturals, (unless resetting bevels which rates a 400 grit) And since naturals aren't the same throughout the edge is a lot better in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:30 am 

I guess it's a personal thing in the end. Do you want some haze on your blade or not. Does it matter if you're sharpening/polishing as they did hundreds of years ago...etc.

I suppose being totally new to stones...I'll just start with 3 synthetic and work on my technique. Maybe buy a 400/1000/5000 grit stones. Maybe make a strop. Don't see myself paying $50 for a leather strop.

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

I think if you're just starting out sharpening synthetics are the way to go. It's only when you really start drinking the kool aid that you will get tempted by the naturals.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:19 pm 

And that's the other thing. I might not, as you put it, ever "drink the Kool-aid". I don't think I'll want to spend any more time than I have to to get my knives sharp/polished. But you never know...

cya...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:26 am 

If you get involved with kasumi and or single-bevel knives you'll probably wind up with at least one high-grit natural to bring out the contrast between the hagane and jigane. Nothing else will do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:35 am 

I would have to say that you should also not discredit the strop. I bought the combo balsa and leather strop kit from Mark and just like he said it really finished off the edge!! For me it was completely worth the cost. The base and the magnetic backed balsa and leather makes things very easy.

Sure you can strop on a ton of stuff, but for my $0.02 worth, it was worth the money!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:29 am 
Forum Moderator

For me I started out on synthetics as do most. They tend to be simpler to understand. But the opposite argument could also be made - after all synthetic stones are a more modern recent addition to the tool set. For most knife owners, especially of carbon steels, you could get by with sharpening on a natural aoto for a pretty wide range of tasks.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:16 am 
Forum Moderator

I have personally become a natural convert and would be more so if I could afford them, don't get me wrong I will never get rid of my shaptons, naniwas, choseras, and the like because yes they work extremely well and do cut faster, but I have never made any bones about it I grew up useing arky's and will still use them till the day I die on an old sabatier in my op they can't be beat, but i am a follower of the old path from stones including my j-nats to my arky's to my extensive line of synthetics as mark will attest too. Their is something about taking my haslinger which is exclusively sharpened on j-nats and is razor sharp thing u know I am cutting with a newer style knife and used stones the samauri could have used 1000 yrs ago ain't it cool. But for the harder metals the naturals get out up and the big boys come down no bones about it. Peace jmbullman

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next