It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Want to explore 1K alternatives
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:09 am 
Forum Moderator

ken123 wrote: "Real soft and muddy - the 1200 bamboo."

REAL MUDDY! :lol: In it's defense, as I love mine<--link, it starts off with a bit of grain, but REFINES dramatically. It's a finesse stone that leaves a very workable edge, and a much cleaner polish than you might expect out of a 1200. Plus, it's a brick; lotta stone for $75.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:24 pm 

Ken, I owe you a review of the Ume 1k speckled XX-hard I got from you as well as the 2k Ume speckled I got from Mark. I have not contacted you yet because I am still ironing out my learning curve on a new stone. I will before long :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just an update - based on Ken's information above and that I wanted to try out the Nubatama 150, I got the Nubatama Bamboo 150/1200 combo stone: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nubacost15.html. I'll be putting the 1200 side to use this evening on a few knives. I guess I'm too used to my Shaptons - this sucker is HEAVY :-).

Now to find a few knives that need enough work to test out the 150 side ;-).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:00 pm 

I haven't tried any other stones but I have Choseras, 400, 1000, 5000. I think its a great combination. Each stone cuts fast, has great feedback and is very slow wearing. The jump from the 400 to 1000 is an easy jump, once you finish on the 1000 it doesn't take long on the 5000 to get a screaming edge. The 5000 leaves an edge that is polished and sharp and does it very quickly. It amazes me how creamy smooth it feels and how quickly it polishes the edge. If there are better stones out there, I can't imagine they are better by much. I use each as a splash and go stone which couldn't be any easier. I also use John's system with the hotel pan and the bridge he sells on his site. No more spray bottles and messy counter tops.

Dave.

Page 3 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3