It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: how often do you sharpen your knife?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:22 pm 

Also home cook here, sharpen about once a month, (1 gyuto, 1 santoku, 1 petty) light touchup on a ceramic rod or balsa strop before each use. (Unless I do something stupid to an edge, then I can't relax until I go through the whole routine)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:33 pm 

chopper wrote:Jason B

I'm using a fine whetstone to maintain once a week

not going through the whole process every week

Then you are doing it correctly.

Every 6 months to a year you should sharpen and thin the edge with a full range of stones. This "refreshes" the blade and takes away the past months/years of use that have altered its geometry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:44 pm 

Jason B

Thanks for the advice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:18 pm 

I echo SteveG and his strategy. I cook at home. I have a lot of knives, so I just choose the best one for the job. I touch up with an Idahone or maybe on a 5K stone. Most of the knives I sharpen are my wifes, as she likes 6 inch German steel blades. Probably every 3-4 weeks I have to give them some attention.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

This is too difficult for me to answer in a manner in which won't be perceived as elusive, enigmatic, or just plain snarky as I have so many knives.

I rotate through my stock a lot, but invariably have my strops out twice a week & my touch-up stones once or twice, as well. Full on sharpenings are as time allows, and time I am rarely afforded.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:09 pm 

I think people can tend to over-sharpen, because of the curiosity factor and the simple fun in it. When I was first learning and practicing, I know that I blew through a few knives way too fast.
This is why I think that someone should first experiment and learn on a cheaper knife. Sharpening/maintaining can be relaxing as well.

One person's sharp is another's adequate. But hey, whatever works. I lightly strop on the stone more or less when it loses that fresh feeling edge...however, I think some would find it still sharp enough to use.

I am careful now, not to blow through my knives like I did before, however.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

DESOL <> So cool to see that Kikuichi chrysanthemum. I wonder how old it is! :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:58 am 

I don't know. 15th century? Maybe older.

If I remember correctly, the Chrysanthemum was (originally) only allowed on swords commissioned for or made by the Emperor.

"He would then undertake the quenching process himself, and inscribe the tang of the blades with the Chrysanthemum mon as his signature. Such blades are known as Gosho Yaki (sword tempered at the palace) since they were inscribed with the imperial Chrysanthemum mon. - Art of the Samurai: Japanese Arms and Armor, 1156-1868

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:34 pm 

After a little more investigation, it's more likely to be a Kamakura period Tachi. It looks like an important sword...

Kamakura ~ 1185-1333AD. Kamakura period swords are very respected, due to the excellent quality of the workmanship.

Mass sword producing hadn't yet begun (more or less), so the quality of these swords are very high.

Page 3 of 3 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3