It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Want to explore 1K alternatives
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:16 am 

I've owned 7 different 1k's including, Norton, Sigma Power Select II, Ume, King, Shapton G and Shapton P and Chosera. People pay me to sharpen knives so I needed to find something that was not only cost effective, accessible, made knives sharp but also, pleasant to use, it's not just about the destination, it's the journey too so I was always looking for a stone that would make the sharpening process something to look forward to and not a chore. Also, something that due to it's dependability would inspire confidence, because confidence in what I was using meant sharp knives and I need that comforting feeling when handing back a knife to a customer.
Thus far, only a couple of 1k Stones have done that for me and that's the Chosera 1k and the Shapton Glass 1k. I'm not exaggerating when I talk about the feel of the Chosera 1k, it is a sensation that invites sharpening, and a stone that so consistently delivers terrific edges. Fortunately, on top of that it is very easy to maintain, dishes slowly and requires very little soaking, or none at all.
Now the Shapton Glass stone just feels different but I'll tell you, I would have a hard time choosing between the two of them, in fact I can't, that's why I own both.

I will be honest and say that I am a little bias towards the Chosera lineup. When I crossed the line from being extremely interested to being obsessed with sharpening (and found some of you guys :) ) I knew that over time I would own every Chosera stone because the brand was one of the heavy hitters, very highly regarded and just something I had to have. Theres a bond there because my first chosera marks a pont in time where my life changed, sharpening was no longer a hobby. Fortunately the Chosera stones were everything I hoped for. Having said that, the SG stones are just as good or perhaps better. (This is just my experience, I'm not criticizing the other brands, my preferences just changed)

Mark talks about the 1.5K Pro, I agree, it is awesome.

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in the 1k Chosera.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks to everyone, this is all extremely helpful information. You guys are awesome!!

I have used the Shapton Pro 1.5K a couple of times - I gave one to my nephew in Idaho on a trip there, but that was last June, when my experience and feel for sharpening weren't enough to know what I was feeling on the stone. I did get some very nice edges on the 1.5K though.

I think I'm going to buy the Chosera 1K and the Pro 1.5K to gain some additional knowledge for myself and for helping out in the forums where I can.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:14 pm 

Theres also the Nubatama 1k platinum. Totally different animal than the 1k.speckled. Very nice stone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:14 pm 

Are you talking about the white one?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:35 pm 

Indeed. I just have a sample piece. But i really like it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:58 pm 

Any details?

@ $125 it better include a backrub ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:50 pm 

Creamy smooth feedback and fast. I jumped right from a 140atoma to my little 1k platinum stick doing a set of wire cutters. (Just fixing the geometry and went to the 1k to experiment). It seemed to do a good job tackling those 140 scratches. And it seems to polish really well for a 1k.

These are just initial impressions based off a single use. But i liked it enough i will be getting the EP sized version.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

The 1,000 grit range stone's I've used/owned:

King Hyper - A very nice feeling stone, clogs too easily, wears rather slow.

King Clay - Don't still own, and it's been a long time since I've used one. It's your basic stone. Wears kind of quick, not the greatest feel.

Bester 1200 - My long time go to. Really like the feel, wear rate, and it doesn't clog too easily.

Ume 1k (Medium I believe) - My new favorite 1k. Perhaps does wear a little fast, but the feedback I love so much and it leaves a very nice finish for a 1k.

I know I've tried the Chocera, and I recall liking it....but I didn't own it and only used it a few times so I can't comment too much.

The 1k GlassStone and Pro Shapton stone's are just too hard for my liking. I don't like their feedback and they don't offer a better finish. Wear rate is probably nice, but at the rate at which I wear away stone's.....it's almost irrelevant for me to consider wear rate.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 pm 

SteveG wrote:...I think I'm going to buy the Chosera 1K and the Pro 1.5K to gain some additional knowledge for myself and for helping out in the forums where I can...

Two very good stones to try. If you do and decide to get rid of one PM me and I'll take it off your hands. I don't have either and have been wanting to try both myself but funds limit how many I can buy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:57 am 
Forum Moderator

Really a fascinating thread. It points out a number of things. Of course the obvious - everybody wants something different in a stone. This is a combination of personal taste, sharpening style, cost, reputation and opinions of others and what you are sharpening. Some like hard stones that don't generate much mud, eg the Shapton glass and pros, some the creamy feel of the magnesia based Choceras. No one mentioned the 1k Superstone, a quite soft stone. There's a Sigma power 1k too, etc etc

Some love the hard feel of the Shaptons, some really dislike it. Most like the feel of the Choceras.

Of course, I find the comments regarding the speckled ume 1k stones interesting - coarser than it's grit rating vs nice finish for a 1k. Some preferring the XXhard Ume Speckled, some the Medium hardness.

So this is an excellent starting point for why the Nubatama series has ~ 9 stones in the 1k range, with a new one recently added (150/1200 combo)! I think one's tastes are strongly influenced by the first 1k stone they use. So Shapton style users tend to like the 1k Ume XX hard (generalizations ahead) and the hard speckled one and 1k bamboo gold are inbetween. Bester fans seem to like the Medium hardness and most knife sharpeners like the medium speckled ume. IF you like a softer 1k, the 1k Ume black brick is a nice choice. Real soft and muddy - the 1200 bamboo. The 1k white bamboo is an excellent stone, similar in feel to the Chocera 1k, but also quite nice on carbon steels. It's expensive, but if you want something similar to it look at the new combo stone 150/1200. The Sigma Power 1k is also similar to the Chocera 1k. There's still a few more Nubatamas, but this is a good start :)

Two variables that I feel influence opinion a lot are soaking practices and pressure. I'm not a permasoaking fan, so I don't care for stones that seem to require long soaks. I started out on Shapton Pros and GlassStones many years ago. I also don't use a great deal of pressure and I get markedly different responses on some stones than what others get with medium to high pressure regarding wear rates, perceived stone grits, even feel. I also see this with natural stones.

Hope this adds a few more datapoints to the discussion.... A bit of a rambling post, but hey it's 3 am :)

---
Ken

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next