It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need help deciding between Tojiro and Fujiwara
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Finally got around to looking at Japanese knives again, constant house guests.

I'm thinking of one of the following for a 210mm type of general overall vegetable slicing, like head cabbage, slicing off steaks from a strip roast, etc.
Can you give me some statistics on each of these knives?

1) Fujiwara FKS-04 210mm Gyoto
a) Does this blade have a slight curve toward the tip of the blade?
b) What is the height of the blade at the heel?

2) Tojiro DP F-826 210mm Petty
a) Does this blade have a slight curve towards the tip of the blade?
b) I like that the blade height at the heel of the blade is approx 1.5" high.

3) Tojiro DP F-808 210mm Chef knife
a) Does it have a slight curve towards the tip of the blade?

The other question I have is about the Tojiro Dp F-803 Honesuki Boning knife 150mm.
a) Will this knife have enough spline thickness to cut a small, say 12" Mackeral Scad from heat to tail cutting thru the head and then splitting the body in half to butterly the fish?
b) I would prefer a 127mm type of blade but this looks like the closest I can get to a knife that can do the fish cutting and also to prepare a strip roast into steaks, like cutting off the fat and skin.
c) Or would a Fujiwara FKM-03 150mm be a better choice?

Thanks for any other suggestions you may have,
Cal

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Need help deciding between Tojiro and Fujiwara
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Cal,

1. Yes but very slight.
44mm Tall

2. Yes it too has a slight curve toward the tip.
1.429 inches is the exact measurement according to my calipers or 36.3mm

3. Yes

4. Yes it can do a wide variety of tasks but I would be carefull cutting off fish heads. It can do it but you run a slight risk of chipping it. If you can sharpen it's not a big deal and you can adjust the bevel to meet your needs.

I like the Tojiro over the Fujiwara. It's a little more robust.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:10 am 

the 210 tojiro petty is a fantastic knife. i actually like it more than my 210 konosuke petty because its stiffer, tougher and has almost no flex in the blade and you can use it for tough tasks. I like the Fujiwara gyutos alittle more than the tojiros though...theyre thinner and i find them easier to sharpen but these days you might as well consider a richmond artifex for the same price with superior steel. Also, with the honesuki like Mark said you should probably go with the tojiro, theyre just so indestructible and priced just perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:49 pm 

I like the Tojiros, I have a couple myself. However, it seems as though you are wanting to find the best overall knife for your various tasks?

Based on what I have read about the knives and the numerous forums and chats about the richmond knives, especially the Artifex, I would say go with that. You are getting superior steel, a solid knife (something you like in the Tojiros), a ridiculously good price, and buying a knife from the guy who designed it.

Hope that helps, good luck choosing!

Bread - Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife
Chef - Shun Premier 8" Chef Knife
Nakiri - Sakai Takayuki Damascus 160mm Nakiri
Petty - Konosuke HH Stainless 150mm Wa-Petty
Paring - Tojiro DP 90mm Paring Knife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:12 am 

yes. perhaps you should hold off on the honesuki for now and consider purchasing a gyuto and a petty. I like both 150 and 210mm pettys for a variety of fish and meat butchery and 210 petty knives are also pretty good at slicing tasks like steak or other cooked meats. but 150mm pettys can also pull double duty and be used like paring knives.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:39 pm 

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll probably now settle on a Tojiro DP 210 Petty and maybe the Tojiro DP Honesuki F-803. Can't decide about the Honesuki yet. Also the Richmond Artifex 210 looks tantalizing. Since the Artifex doesn't have a bolster built in would there be more chances of food getting into the space between the blade and the handle and not being able to wash it out as well and then having bacteria problems?

This is like an adult toyland, sigh. Wish I could afford one of each, heh,heh.

Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]