It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: gyuto or nakri
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:36 pm 

and of course I get a saya whether I buy it on chefknives or buy it 3rd party

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:41 pm 

kRnD3m0n wrote:would there be any diffrance from the how reactive the knife would be on the edge than from the Richmond laser 210 to the 240 gyuto?
Nope no difference in reactivity between sizes. Same core steel, same reactivity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:55 pm 

socalboo wrote:
desol wrote:I've been wondering if I should attend or not. :) I'll take it as a compliment.

I'm just very discerning with 'how' information is spread on the internet. It's a bad habit from being a long-time member of professional electronics engineering and sound recording forums (with the likes of Terry Manning and others)....where subjective information is tolerated, but objective information is mostly encouraged. On some professional forums, subjective information isn't really allowed.

I like to think of this forum as a professional resource. That's all.

The qualities of how a knife performs is inherently subjective, isn't it? Not picking a fight - I find your point interesting and it certainly initiates a healthy discussion. Folks on this forum are typically looking for the best fit and asking others their opinion. That, by its very nature, is asking for subjective opinion, is it not? Objectivity about knives would seem to focus on stats - dimensions, weights, materials, finish, price.

I think people who are searching for information on the internet, appreciate objective information...otherwise, how does one know what to believe? Even if they're asking subjectively.
That's why pages and pages of opinions persist, until the OP decides based on popular opinion, more or less. Hopefully the popular opinion for a filleting knife, isn't a paring knife or a steak knife.

Generally, I think the consensus is fairly accurate when it comes to use.

I don't think that knife tasks are that subjective to the Japanese. They are all purpose built, based on trial and error. If you ask a chef, he'll say no...this is for this, this is for this, this is for this, etc. Their culture takes knife use and production fairly seriously.

Much the same as, I don't think the Nakiri should be con notated as inappropriate for a commercial environment. I think that professional forums offer choice, description and information, without
as much subjective information clouding things up.

Thanks for your reply btw. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:18 am 

can anyone tell me how reactive is a masakage yuki gyuto?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 am 

White steel is slightly more reactive than AS.

Carbon care is very simple though, it just needs to be done in a reasonable amount of time. Wipe the exposed carbon with a rag every so often while using the knife and then wash by hand (the sooner the better) after you finish.

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3