It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:51 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do you sharpen a petty like on Korin's YT video?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:59 pm 

Guess my main observation is when he sharpens, he is initially using a higher angle to get a burr, and then he backs it off to finish the grind. Is this necessary with a petty? The second thing I notice is he uses a smaller angle on the backside as well as less strokes on the backside. I understand the less strokes on the backside because of the 70/30 grind, but I thought if you do this you should keep the angle consistent on the front and back of the blade when sharpening?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OztO3sBJ4Uk

Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen a petty like on Korin's YT video?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:08 pm 

Yeah , couldnt even finish the video... Use the same angles and stay conistant. If its an asymmetrical grind use less trokes on the small side.

Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen a petty like on Korin's YT video?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:08 pm 

I happen to utilize that technique today with my Shun utility knife. They say that VG10 is burr prone. I don't know if that is knife forum folklore or just something about the way VG10 behaves.

But I did a similar mechanical thing to what the guy did in the video and it got it pretty sharp. But the scratch pattern is ugly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]