It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:11 pm 

rayong wrote:So these boards are washed at the sink. I measured it out and looked at 18 x 24. Easier for me to take it out to the yard and spray it down there than wash in the sink. I use a 12 x 18.

I may be unnecessary to lug a board around to clean them, for instance, you could simply place it next to the sink for use. Or, if you aren't someone with OCD about scrubbing things, a mild sanitizer solution and a clean rinse will do to keep any bacteria at bay.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:14 pm 

My kitchen sink is fairly small (to go along with the small NY apartment), and I just barely manage to wash my 12x18 Boadrsmith in it, one half at a time. But as long as you don't cut meat, a careful wipe keeps it pretty clean with vegetables. I usually use a small separate board for meats.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:25 pm 

Hey! So I got my 18x24 Maple cutting board today! EXACTLY 3 months to the day I ordered it from Dave. Apparently over the Winter he lost power for a week or two and fell incredibly behind. I completely understood and appreciated him explaining it to me when I called to inquire about it. I don't mind waiting for the best.

Anyway, I took it out, put the feet on, and washed it with hot soapy water. Then I oiled the crap out of it. 3 quarters of a 12oz. bottle. Used my hand to spread it around, let it soak in, and then rubbed it down with a paper towel.

It was at this point that my fiancee mentioned how it had a gently curve to it. I got eye level with it and there was definitely a curve to it. I guess warped? But how could that be?

Now I don't have AC so my kitchen was very warm and humid as we were beginning dinner. After dinner I went back to it and it was still curved. I oiled it more, using the rest of the bottle, and focused on the outside edges instead of the center. Not actually sure it would do anything but figured I could do it and it definitely still needed some oil anyway.

After wiping it down, it was still bent so to get an idea of how much I flipped it upside on my countertop and none of the 4 corners touched the actual counter. It seems to bulge in the middle.

Anyway, was hoping some of you could tell me what is going on with my board? I'm sure it is the humidity, etc., but I wanted to come and ask. I have a picture as well I will attach to hopefully give you some idea what I am talking about.

Anyway, amazing board. I chopped an apple and some salad on it and loved the amount of room I had and the sound it makes as the knife hits it. Really great.

Thank you for the information!

Attachments:
photo(2).JPG [31.12 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:06 am 

robenco15, I'm not a cutting board expert or woodworker, but I would have to say while humidity may play a part, I personally think that board is just warped, and pretty badly (judging by the photo) It sucks that you waited 3 months for that. I would contact Dave at Boardsmith and send Him a picture. He does make a great cutting board, hopefully he can expedite some type of exchange for you.

Last edited by Hutch on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:11 am 

I don't think it is the board though as it arrived perfectly flat. Something happened to it...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:18 am 

robenco15 wrote:I don't think it is the board though as it arrived perfectly flat. Something happened to it...

Ok, sorry. I took from your original post that your new board arrived that way. I know you said you don't have AC in you kitchen, but maybe somewhere else in your home you could bring the board in to where it's not so humid, to see if it returns to it's original shape. If not I would still try calling Dave to ask possibly for his advice as to what you could try to make the board level out. There are some good wood workers on this site also, maybe they will chime in with some advice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:19 am 

Whew—that is a sad picture. Definitely contact the seller and send a picture to go with it. I have an 18x24 mahogany Boardsmith that is about two years old and it is still flatter than the granite counter it sits on...and it took me about two years to get through a bottle of Boos oil. I do not think what you are experiencing is normal.

That said, I live in NYC, and a few weeks ago the humidity turned the corners of my coffee table up nearly 1/2 inch...a few days later they were back to normal (flush with the legs), and recent humidity has not caused the same fluctuations to recur. I think the table wood – which was only finished and sealed on the top side – just need some time to adjust from the dry winter and the bottom size tried to absorb all the moisture first. I can only assume my board has been oiled enough over time that it doesn't suffer the same problems. Even so, your board looks really badly warped. Very sorry. :(

I assume you've been oiling both sides?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:28 am 

No I only oiled the top of it. And I think I used too much oil. I when I press a paper towel on the top of it and rub it around, it picks up oil. The bottom also seems to have a little oil on it. It kept absorbing oil so I just kept going.

Should I oil the other side or introduce moisture to the other side?

I'll contact him in a few days if nothing changes but as it came perfectly flat I must have done something...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:20 am 

Would getting rid of the excess oil help? Rinsing the other side with water or something? I don't have any more oil for the other side.

Was I supposed to only do a few coats of oil and then let it pool/soak it in overnight or something?

I think I somehow just over oiled the board and am praying I wake up tomorrow and it is flattened out or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:51 am 

So I may have more or less fixed it. I put it in the sink upside down with the bottom facing up (the side I never oiled) and using the sink's hose attachment I sprayed it down with hot water for about 20 seconds. Immediately dried it and then when I flipped it over oil was seeping out. I dried it all down and repeated that same thing two more times, being sure to dry it very well.

I think it got rid of a lot of excess oil and introduced some moisture to the other side to flatten it out. I'm not sure if it was the best thing I could have done but it got results.

There is still too much oil though. I can't touch the top of the cutting board without my hands glistening with residual oil. I really messed up on that front.

But, when I flip the board upside down on the countertop the four corners are more or less flush with the counter. The middle has a slight bulge, but I think it may go away. This means that two of the corners hover ever so slightly above the counter, but the board is more or less flat and that is what matters when I use it.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions and when i wake up tomorrow I guess I'll see where I stand. Attached is a current picture. As you'll see, it looks much better than the first I posted.

Attachments:
photo(3).JPG [28.68 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Page 5 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next