It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nubatama 2k Speckled / HanHan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:40 am 

So today I got a chance to play with some of my new stuff. Did some major repairs / reproiling on a beater knife ,
went 24 , 60 , 150 Nubatama , 1k shapton , 2k speckled , and finished off freehanding on the HanHan.

Thus far I really like the 2k speckled , it's fast , leaves a nice even finish , and is more forgiving than the Shapton 2k. It doesn't load at all , and only requires a brief soak (2-3 minutes is fine). In my opinion I much prefer this stone over the green brick , more consistant scratch pattern , better wear rate , faster , and it doesn't load (my least favorite attribute of the green brick is how quickly it loads , even with the aid of a nagura stone). This stone will lead well into Japanese naturals, it would precede an aoto nicely. The finish it leaves is not a mirror, it goes more like a bright fuzzy finish, the scratches are too small to distginuish, but it doesn't start polishing yet.

I see this being a good all around , affordable stone , something the series needed at this level , this stone will be hit I think.

Under the microscope theres still a large burr present here , but you can see the overall scratch pattern is uniform and clean.

Then I moved onto the HanHan ,which means half and half, as in half synthetic , half natural stone. For those of you aren't aware , im an EPP guy , but this stone required me to freehand. With the bevels already established I didn't find it too hard. The stone itself is a joy to use , generates nice mud , and gives good feedback , in no time that bright fuzzy 2k finish was transformed into a bright mirror , while it doesn't have the depth of field some of my uber fine poly finishes do , it is nice to look at and is an all around well performing edge. It pushcuts well for this level of finish , and slices are effortless. Would be a great all around kitchen edge I think.

The history of the stone is really cool too fwiw, they aren't being produced anymore (haven't been for over 50 years...) , and are dwindling in number. The knowledge of how they were produced is long since gone. For me this is part of the fun in collecting / using stones.

Heres what the HanHan looks like , all lapped (140 - 1200 atomas) then texturized with a natural nagura stone.

Post subject: Re: Nubatama 2k Speckled / HanHan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:19 pm 

Nice review of the stones. Both of those are on my radar. The Han Han is already on my wish list. If I get the speckled, it will be awhile since I have the green brick. I don't necessarily mind having some redundancy in my kit, but there are other things I want to fill first.

I'd like to see how you set up your veho to take pictures. I struggle with getting the lighting correct.

Post subject: Re: Nubatama 2k Speckled / HanHan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:09 pm 

Thank you sadden, I have the 1k & 5k shapton pros, I may just put the 2k speckled in my assortment. ( for now) :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]