It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Per Se rated a "C" by NY dept. of health
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:19 am 

Glad to see the debate. My personal views are in line with Mel's statement of "Patrons of Thomas Keller are not foolish enough to believe that his establishments will get them sick. That's laughable.. I do not believe Mr. Keller runs a habitually dirty kitchen (and that is what it comes down to for me), I expect the food to be exquisite and wouldn't give the "C" a second thought.

The opposing argument to my statement was, for what he is charging nothing short of perfection is acceptable. None of the people participating in the conversation work in the food industry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:46 am 

Melampus wrote: "Patrons of Thomas Keller are not foolish enough to believe that his establishments will get them sick. That's laughable."

I'm with Mel, also I love that Carlin piece.

However the grade is pending, usually the health department gives you a week to get the serious violations under order they'll come back and see what they fixed.

My externship site at the CIA passed, I don't know how, so it's really between each state or city how strictly a health code is enforced.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:14 am 

What are you guys trying to prove, having a sensible discussion about restaurant hygiene?

The narrative underlying this and other poor health grades in NYC is that the new, strongly left-leaning mayor of Gotham is trying to put the screws to the swells. Apparently there have been a spate of failing health grades, limited to high end eateries. This, as well as the recent snow removal failure on the upper west side, is being reported in the conservative press as some sort of class warfare.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I thought that angle might cast a different light on the topic. Maybe even derail this constructive discussion from the planning, execution, and review of sanitation processes to some good old fashioned political name calling. That's always fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:22 am 

I agree with Mel, people are too germaphobic.

I was speaking specifically about the owner of the restaurant freaking out about BOH inspections. Myself, being in charge of the kitchen details have pretty much nothing to worry about on my end because I have set standards and expectations on my guys high in the area of sanitation and cleanliness. Equipment, or lack there of, is ultimately the responsibility of the owner. I can only tell him so many times what he needs to get up to code before the inspector gives him a "Conditional Satisfactory."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:58 am 
Forum Moderator

SWARFY <> I'm not informed enough to comment on the state of NYC politics, but by all means... ENLIGHTEN ME! :P I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:57 pm 

Melampus wrote:SWARFY <> I'm not informed enough to comment on the state of NYC politics, but by all means... ENLIGHTEN ME! :P I'd love to hear it.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:55 pm 

I love how with some it always boils down to some lefty/righty political conspiracy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:21 pm 

Crap, I can't find a supporting article at the moment on my iPhone. I know several were linked off of Drudge. Probably for the best, as CKtG is a welcome refuge from the political discourse that permeates everything these days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:34 pm 

"Probably for the best, as CKtG is a welcome refuge from the political discourse that permeates everything these days."

+1

Actually, +2 :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:36 am 

Been working in NYC at michelin starred restaurants for about 5 years. some points
NYC is by FAR the strictest dept. in the country. I am an honest person and I can say I have only come across 1 dept. official that was friendly.
Restaurants stall the guys before they even come CLOSE to the kitchen. Im guessing Per Se is very good at this. This gives the kitchen time to dump out spoon bains (can't have) ditch side towels (can't have) throw out all food not cooled properly ( or throw it in an oven) etc.
I know people who work at Per Se and i can't imagine how they would be docked that many points… the place is just that clean, professional and the cooks are that good.

It makes me think that something happened with their HAACP.. maybe they could find proper documentation for the 6,000,000 things they cook sous vide on a daily basis.
OR the kitchen is so big, and has so many low boys and refrigerators, that they found one that was running high or did not have a thermometer in it.

That being said, i don't care if they serve shit on a plate, you won't get a night when that dining room isn't full.

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next