It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How high is too high for kitchen knives?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:52 pm 

NolaDNA: still-unable-to-edit-posts-t445.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm 

in my experience I've found a finer edge dies faster on the board. Regardless of what steel it is. Now the only proper way to really do this test is like Jason did. Side by side and compare using the same steel.

However there are so many factors I'm gonna say it's all up to personal preference. Myself? I like a 5k edge for a working edge and a 7-10k for a show piece.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:41 pm 

Yes, finer edges die faster on the board. Sharpening a knife too high may take some of the "tooth" out of the blade. Most say 2k/4k is functional, 7k/8k is great, 12k+ is excessive itk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:40 am 

I generally stop at 4k, but about every other sharpen I"ll go up to 8k finish, and strop on the 8k as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:16 pm 

Does this make a difference depending on the steel type?

I read that people say they will sharpen most german steels to around 2k? Do the softer steels not take as good an edge when you get to 5k, 10k, 15k? Do the harder steels respond better to the finer grits?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:30 pm 

Edge stability is the factor in question. Edge stability is the ability for a edge to hold its shape under stress. The softer the steel the lower the edge stability and the harder the steel the greater the edge stability.

When a knife is sharpened to very fine levels the edge leading up to the apex becomes very thin and the edge roughness decreases to the point the sharpened apex looks like a perfectly straight line on a sheet of paper. With a German knife that's only 55-57hrc it has such a low edge stability factor that a super fine edge on this soft steel would be able to be damaged by such simple cutting as slicing paper.

As you would have guessed edge stability increases as the hardness goes up and can allow you to take the edge finer without the edge degrading too quickly.

Personally I have found 2-3k edges just get better when the steel gets harder while finer stones still only offer minimal advantages.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Anything above #500 grit on shitty soft steels is a waste of time!

:(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 pm 

MadRookie wrote:Anything above #500 grit on shitty soft steels is a waste of time!

No doubt. But I'm not sure I'd think of my Henckel (softer, tougher steel) as being shitty...so much as being used for nastier, more abusive things....
that I couldn't use my carbon knives on. It has it's place...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Agreed....

:)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:27 pm 

MadRookie wrote:Anything above #500 grit on shitty soft steels is a waste of time!

You could say the same for all steels. A coarse edge done well will out-cut a finer edge every time regardless of steel. Edge refinement only matters when the type of cut depends on a given level of refinement.

FWIW, I finish my henckels on a 6k arashiyama and like it better than a coarser edge. I also perfer the performance of a finer edge on this steel. Personal preference plays a big role.

Page 3 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next