It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:57 am 

After cooking a steak would I be in danger of doing anything negative to the board if I take the steak out of the pan to rest on the board? I would rest the steak on a rack which would be placed on the board. The board takes up a good portion of my counter so it would be much easier just doing it that way then working around the board. I guess my only concern would be juices seeping into the wood? That is what oiling is for right? To prevent that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:42 am 

Oil helps, but doesn't completely prevent liquids of any type from getting into the wood. No problem though. Wood does not foster the growth of bacteria. It will allow absorb the moisture leaving the bacteria with nothing to live on essentially starving it. Some call wood antibacterial, but they are wrong. Not fostering growth and antibacterial are not the same.

Only rule with meat is to make sure you do all your other ingredients before the meat to avoid cross contamination. Otherwise clean like you normally would and you are good to go. Wood butcher blocks have been used for cutting meat for years and years without any issue. If you are really worried about it. Wipe your board with a little distilled vinegar, the acid in vinegar will kill any meat born bacteria. Just let it sit on the board for a bit so the acid can do it's thing(while you eat?), then wash your board. Be sure to oil more often as it tends to dry out the wood. Not really necessary, but if it gives you peace of mind go for it. As an aside and random fact of the day, apple cider vinegar was used as the primary battle field antiseptic during WWII :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:15 am 

Just set your rack on a cookie sheet on your board. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:15 am 

"apple cider vinegar was used as the primary battle field antiseptic during WWII"

In that case an ex girlfriend of mine must have had an old war wound.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:25 pm 

Jeff B wrote:Just set your rack on a cookie sheet on your board. Problem solved.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:32 am 

Dumb question but is the 18x34 exactly 18 inches wide and 24 inches long? I have an 18x24 towel and it looks smaller than the picture of jeffb's board with his knife laying on it. I layed an 8 inch chef's knife on the towel and it seemed to take up more space on the towel than jeffb's 240mm konosuke. If you can't tell I'm really excited for this board. I mean I'm laying towels out on the counter to get an idea of how it's going to look!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:03 am 

18x24 is indeed 18in by 24in. The angle a picture is taken from can cause distortion making things appear larger than they are ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:28 pm 

How do you guys clean your boards? How do you clean an 18 x 24 end grain? That must weigh quite a bit to move to the sink and wash if that's what you do.

I use poly. Easy to just pick up and wash over the sink. It doesn't seem to be too bad on the blade edges despite all the comments about how bad they are on knife edges. Am very careful to not scrap the blade across the board to push food around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:53 pm 

rayong wrote:How do you guys clean your boards? How do you clean an 18 x 24 end grain? That must weigh quite a bit to move to the sink and wash if that's what you do.

That's one of the reason I have a 12 x 18 wooden board. My wife could not pick up a 18 x 24 x 2 1/4 board. Also, an 18 x 24 board is too big to easily clean in my sink.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:39 pm 

So these boards are washed at the sink. I measured it out and looked at 18 x 24. Easier for me to take it out to the yard and spray it down there than wash in the sink. I use a 12 x 18.

Page 4 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next