It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: >> Oiling Wa's <<
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:10 pm 

Melampus : Was just trying to be constructive with the suggestion to wrap in glad wrap. Wrapped tight the oil would be kept in close contact with the wood from the wicking created between the wood and wrap as opposed to sinking to the bottom of a ziploc bag but hey what do I know?

When I said I felt a western handle was more durable than a WA handle I meant something along the lines of a bolster with a full tang with synthetic materials like G10, linen micarta or any of the many other more durable resin based materials than wood. On a WA knife its a tapered shank shoved into a piece of wood that can easily be dislodged with a couple of taps as we can see in the "removing a WA handle videos", looks somewhat fragile. And the resin YO handles don't need slathering in oil and sitting ziplocked in a bag overnight every couple of weeks. Anyway I was just trying to ascertain the longevity of a WA handle since I just got my first WA handled knife. So to be more precise how long can a WA handle last before it falls apart or needs replacing assuming occasional care. I'm not going to be oiling it every other week. Once a quarter maybe.

Last edited by rayong on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:45 pm 

Who knew it would take 4 pages to figure out how to oil a handle. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:59 pm 

You should see the cat skinning thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:25 am 

Japanese view the handle as expendable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:21 am 

cedarhouse wrote:You should see the cat skinning thread.

YESSSSSS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:37 am 
Forum Moderator

RAY <> It's hard to read my tone by reading my text. I'm dry, I'm quick, I'm witty, I'm painfully literal, and unfortunately for my lifespan... always pissed at something. I wasn't bashing you. And after I just read my post again, you have no reason to think I was. The energies I conveyed through your screen were not intended for you... sometimes I can't control their transmission. They break out w/o intention.

I understood your constructive sentiment, but I've tested it & find it does not achieve what I want it to. As I've reiterated, the bag is only there to retain any oil that would saturate the surroundings. I'm sorry, but I've tested this over & over with many different variations... plastic included.. invariably there's some leakage.

I had already answered your wa lifespan question, but I can repeat it, "I haven't owned any Wa's from birth, 40 years ago, but the Wa's I have will be in as good a shape as I maintain them to in the upcoming years. I'd say the next 40, but I'll have had long since ceased. Handles, as do steel, last as long as you care for them. Yes, heavy usage may retire one or both components of a knife before you die, but if you use a knife that much... you most likely would not be asking this question."

Comparing lifespan of a laminate Yo to a wood Wa is not even on the same plane.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:25 am 

No worries Mel. Your insights are always appreciated. I didn't get that part about lifespan at first read, I was scanning for something along the lines of X number of years.

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4