It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: New stone flattner
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:40 pm 

Today I put together a new stone flattner out of glass laminated on wood. It's 12x12 and I used 200 and 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I went through all of my stones and made them all new again. I needed to hone a few razors and wanted the stones to be as flat as possible. It worked great. I was able to remove a lot of scratches I had in my 16000 stone from flattening before with too course of dmi plate. All stones perfect and I had the best shave in quite awhile. Set bevel with latte, green brick, Snow White stone, Shapton 8000, Shapton 16000, strop balsa loaded with chromium oxide, finished on English leather.

Post subject: Re: New stone flattner
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Nice - good going there.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:06 am 

Very nice. I've done the same thing with a piece of granite and some sand paper. Worked great for me as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:09 pm 

I have a similiar setup that i used to flatten balsa and base of a wooden strop i threw together.

How long does a piece of wet/dry last in this usage? I should pick up some and flatten the stones too....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:24 pm 

I do any heavy flattening with a diamond plate. I use this to remove the scratches and to finish the flattening process on higher grit range stones. How long does a sheet last? That somewhat like hitting a moving target, depends on how dished the stone is or how deep scratches, grit of the stone, etc... I have gotten by with the same sheet for three different stones and I have also only gotten one stone out of one. Depends on the stone and what grit paper. Economically it is better to use a diamond plate in the long run. I do like being able to move the stone in all different directions by using the whole 12x12 sheet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:07 am 

Thanks, that does help. Sounds like it'll get me by till i get a plate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:28 am 

I use a diamond plate for flattening and I haven't seen it leave any scratches on my stones.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]