It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP: confused by profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Eclipse - I did some side by side testing with the FKM and the DP 210 Gyutos. I just preferred the feel of the DP. The 210 FKM was thinner and lighter and almost felt too light to me. Part of that is the Western handle and the balance point on the FKM just made the blade feel too light for my taste. It's probably because I'm very used to Wa handles and balance points that are more blade heavy.

The FKM steel is a little more forgiving, being slightly softer than the DP VG-10 core steel. I do like the tip on the FKM better - it's a little more pointy and great for finer work like mincing small shallots and garlic, etc.

If you get the FKM, since they're a la carte - no sets, you might want to think about the 240 version of their Gyuto. I think it has a better all around feel than the FKM 210 and it's a taller blade as well - just a great profile.

I'm going to reiterate this, but the Tojiro DP's normally have slightly larger handles than the equivalent FKM models. If you have large hands, the Tojiro DP 210 might feel better than the FKM 210. Once you get to the FKM 240, the handle is larger, and better for a variety of hand sizes.

My wife uses the DP 210 and has very small hands - she has had no complaints on the handle, so it's not big - the FKM 210 handle is just a little more slender. F&F on both lines is very good IMO. After handling multiple knives from each maker, it don't think one has an edge on F&F over the other.

Here's a comparison video I did of the FKM and DP 210 Gyutos: http://youtu.be/wu5UzzBvARM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:15 pm 

I have several of both of these knives and prefer the Tojiro. For me it seems to hold an edge better and it just feels better to me. The Fujiwara knives are very nice as well. You won't go wrong with either of them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:08 pm 

thank you all very much for your input. i have decided to pull the trigger and got the fujiwara's. will let you know how they work out for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:14 pm 

Fujiwara knives are a great intro to the style of a Japanese knife while still being familiar to someone coming from a German. Good choice, let us know what you think.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2